Chapter 4

Meryl was sitting at her husband's bedside waiting for him to wake up, again. She was ecstatic that the breathing tube had been removed, now she hoped that he would be able to eat something soon. He hadn't been eating very well the last few weeks, she knew he had been losing weight. When she would share her concern of his weight loss with him he would just laugh it off saying he needed to lose weight anyway. However, she wanted him to eat to regain and keep his strength. She knew he needed his rest but she really wished that he would wake up. She just needed to be reminded that it wasn't a dream and that he really was okay. She didn't care if he could only say a few words, and his voice was raspy, she just wanted to hear it. She loved the sound of his voice. If she was upset or worried, just hearing his voice could immediately calm her down. He would tease that he was the ultimate Meryl Whisperer, which he was.

She had called the kids and told them the good news, of course they wanted to come up to the hospital, but she told them he would probably be asleep for awhile and to relax and come by in the morning. They then offered to make the necessary phone calls for Meryl. She knew she should call her publicist and agent, but she just didn't have it in her. There would be time for that, plus all the staff signed a confidentiality clause and they were on a private floor so no one would know he was there. She wanted to protect his identity as much as possible. She was sitting there holding his hand when the door opened. "Jeff?" It was the last person she expected to see, and wasn't exactly happy about. She was just grateful Don was asleep because he would have tried to get out of that bed and beat the son of a bitch to a bloody pulp.

"Meryl, you look beautiful." Don's friend Jeff said while kissing her cheek, causing her to turn away. "You're glowing."

Meryl shook her head. "I don't know how I could be since my husband has been lingering between life and death for 24 hours. That tends to make a wife pretty upset and run down; I'm anything but glowing on the inside and on the outside."

"You know Don, he's tough." Jeff said. "But you know if he doesn't..."

Meryl narrowed her eyes at her husband's "friend." "No, I don't 'know.' If he doesn't what? What are you getting at?"

"Well, I came by to let you know that if he doesn't make it then..." Jeff wasn't spelling it out.

Meryl was becoming increasingly more angry and frustrated; trying to keep her anger and tears at bay. "Then what, Jeff?"

"Then you have my number right? I'm here for you. If you need a shoulder to cry on, or just some personal attention. I'm ready and willing." He winked.

Meryl really thought she would be sick. She looked at her husband who was fighting for his life and his "friend" was propositioning her...it wouldn't be the first time. Meryl reached her arm back and slapped him with all the fury and rage she felt. "You fucking son of a bitch. Get out...get out NOW!"

"Hey, I'm Don's friend. I wanted to see how he was doing, and you." Jeff said.

Meryl pulled him over to the door, she was surprised she had the strength in her. "GET...OUT. My husband sure as hell doesn't want or need you in here. He hasn't given you a second thought in 10 years."

"I think that's up to him." Jeff said.

Meryl motioned her hand over to where Don laid. "He had his brain drilled not even 24 hours ago, he is just barely breathing on his own. I am his voice right now. I swear to God Jeff, if you don't get out now, I'm going to have security throw you out on your sorry ass. Don hasn't talked to you in years...why the fuck are you here? How did you even know he was here? You don't give a shit about him."

"I told you why I was here, Meryl. I know you want it." Jeff said as he tried to pull Meryl to him. "Come on, he's asleep."

Meryl slapped him again and kneed him in the groin. "Get the fuck out...NOW!" She hissed, afraid of waking her husband as she walked over to the phone. "Leave on your own...or security will drag your pathetic ass out."