Chapter 46

After the doctor checked Meryl and assured both her and Don that she was doing very well, she just needed to rest and heal, Meryl fell asleep in her husband's arms. Don was thankful that the hospital staff brought in another bed for him that they pushed up to her bed so he could spend the night and be right there for her like she always was for him. He knew she wanted him to go home and rest but there was no way in hell that was going to happen. They both had been terrified of her original diagnosis that he didn't want to be apart from her if he didn't have to be. Don almost came undone every time she said she was scared. She was his wife, the love of his life, he wanted to make her feel as safe and secure as possible. He vowed to be there every step of her recovery just as she was for him. Don was starting to doze off, feeling the peace of holding his wife in his arms, when his cell phone rang. Don rolled his eyes and smiled when he saw who it was knowing he should probably answer. "Hi, Roy."

"Don!" Roy exclaimed. "Is everything okay?"

Don decided to play dumb. "What are you talking about?"

"All of these fucking rumors swirling around; though I did read yours and Meryl's joint statement. I have tried calling her all night last night and all day today, and the house as well. Her phone just goes directly to voicemail." Roy said worriedly.

Don smiled down at his wife as he managed to get up and walk to the door, after grabbing his cane, so Meryl wouldn't hear. "We've been out most of the day; and she had her phone off last night because of those fucking rumors."

"Thank God, I was so worried about her." Roy sighed.

Don looked back at his wife. He wasn't sure the last time he had heard Roy so worked up when it came to his wife's well-being. "Why? You have to know those rumors are shit. You obviously knew shooting on the movie wrapped."

"Oh, I know. I flew back with her." Roy said sitting down on his sofa in his Manhattan apartment. "It wasn't that; I probably shouldn't tell you, but I think someone should know. You of all people should know."

Now, Don was worried. "Roy, you better tell me if you think something is wrong with my wife."

"M doesn't know I caught onto anything, but I have noticed the last few weeks her being short of breath and having to rest; M NEVER rests. I also noticed when she would be barefoot in the make-up chair that her feet were swollen. Something isn't right, Don. Whenever I would ask her she would say she was fine. I knew you would want to know." Roy said.

Don looked over at his wife and shook his head; always the one taking care of everyone else. Don wanted to respect her wishes and confidentiality and not tell Roy what was really going on. "Yeah, I do; thanks, Roy. I promise you she'll be okay; I'll make sure of it."

"I know you will, curly." Roy smiled.

At just that moment Grace burst through the door in tears when she saw her mom lying in bed hooked up to monitors and her father on the phone. "Mama?"

"Listen Roy, I need to go but I'll have M call you when she can. Thanks again, bye." Don said as he quickly hung up and walked over to his daughter, taking her in his arms. "She's okay, princess; but we need to let her sleep."

Grace walked over to her mother as Don followed and wrapped his arm around her. "What's wrong? I've been trying to call all day and when I called Uncle Third to see if he and Aunt Maeve were still coming to the show tonight, and that I left their tickets at Will Call, I said I couldn't get ahold of you two and he told me. Why didn't YOU tell me?"

"Sweetie, a lot has happened and Mom didn't want anyone to know until we knew more. Uncle Third only knew because your mom wanted him to sit with me so I wouldn't kill the doctor who gave her a misdiagnosis." Don said with a kiss to her head. "She had a pacemaker put in but will be better than ever."