Chapter 11

"Okay son, we'll see you soon, bye." Don said as he ended the call with their son on his cell phone and looked over at his unamused wife.

Meryl shook her head as she knew what was going on. "I'm not going."

"Sweetheart, this is a Christmas Eve tradition we started with Henry when he was little, hot chocolate on Christmas Eve. Then when the girls came you had him and I took the girls. Then we come back and open the packages of pajamas." Don was desperate to get her out of the hospital; not only did he have a plan but he knew it would do her good to get out of the hospital even for an hour.

Meryl sighed. "I know, I was there, but not this year. I'm not leaving you in the hospital on Christmas Eve. The kids can come up here and bring dinner or something. Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll call the girls..."

"Meryl." Don laughed as he stopped her from reaching for her phone. "I will have you times 3 fussing over me. The girls are going to bring hot chocolate up here. I won't be alone, they'll be here. Maybe you and H could bring dinner back for all of us? That way we can keep the traditions but all still be together. Besides you won't be gone that long."

Meryl looked at him suspiciously. "Why do I get the feeling you are trying to get rid of me? Do you have plans with that busty nurse that has been flirting with you?"

"She has not!" Don laughed. "No, I am not trying to get rid of you. I just want this Christmas to be as normal as it can be with me being laid up in this damn bed. We can't have our usual traditions. I don't have a proper gift for you. We're not going to have our big meal. I want to salvage as much of this holiday as possible. For you...for me...and for the kids. It's really important to me. It's been a shitty week for all of us, I want some sense of normalcy. If you won't do it for yourself then would you please do it for me and the kids?"

Meryl looked at him and gave in; she not only knew she was licked but she also knew he was right. As much as she hated the thought of being gone from him, in case something happened, she knew it would be good for the whole family. "Okay, you're right. But you promise the girls will call if anything changes? Any small change or anything?"

"I promise, baby. You have been with me around the clock except for last night when you went out with with the girls and that wasn't for long. I'm sure a little fresh air would do you some good. Please, let's keep this tradition. Then bring dinner back and we can all be together. Deal?" Don smiled happy that he could go through with his plan without her catching on.

Meryl nodded as she softly kissed his lips. "Deal."

***

"Mom is going to be so surprised." Louisa squealed.

Mamie laughed as she kept up with her task. "Shhh....Dad's on the phone with her; we don't want to tip her off. Dad is pretty proud of himself for this one."

"I'm glad Dad had this idea." Grace smiled at her father.

Don winked at his daughter's as he held up his finger signaling that he was almost done. "Okay baby, yeah that sounds good. You're going to make me eat healthy, aren't you? Ha, okay. See ya soon, bye. Yes, I promise I'm fine. I love you too, bye."

"Is Mom on her way?" Mamie asked.

Don nodded from his hospital bed. "Yes. This looks great girls, thank you so much. Come drink your hot chocolate."

"I'm glad we could do this." Louisa smiled as she sat on the bed next to her father.

Grace nodded as she joined them. "Me too."

"To dad." Mamie said lifting up her cup.

Grace and Louisa lifted up their cups. "To Daddy."

"Thank you, my beauties." Don smiled. "To a Gummer family Christmas."