Chapter 49

A few days later; Don and Meryl were sitting in the exam room in Dr. Grayson's office waiting for her check-up exam. Don looked up from his phone where he had been answering some work related emails and saw his wife sitting there in a paper gown, staring off into space, and twirling her wedding ring. Don walked over to her, lifted her chin, and tenderly kissed her lips causing her to smile. "You're pretty hot in that gown; think we can take it home."

"Such a dirty old man." Meryl tried to tease. "Babe, what time is it?"

Don sighed as he sat down next to her and took her hand in his. She was constantly asking what time it was. He could see how nervous she was, he was as well, but he wanted to remain positive. "Babe, he'll be here soon. Everything is going to be fine."

"I wish I was as sure as you are." Meryl sighed.

Don hated seeing her like this. She outwardly looked how he was feeling on the inside but couldn't let her see. "Baby, you said you are feeling better than you have in months. They fixed the problem; you're perfect."

"Thanks, Don Man." Meryl smiled at him. "I'm still a little shook by what that doctor..."

Don put his finger to her lips. Every time he thought about what that doctor said he was filled with rage. "He is a little shit and I still want to get his license taken away."

"Baby, what will that do?" Meryl asked gently; knowing how upset he was.

Don sighed loudly. "Stop him from hurting anyone else. I'm talking to Dr. Abbott about it."

"Okay." Meryl sighed not wanting to upset him further; just as she was about to say something his phone rang.

Don sighed as he looked at it. "It's Third."

"It's okay; take it." Meryl smiled.

Don placed a quick kiss on her lips. "I'll be right back, beautiful."

***

Meryl began fidgeting as she waited for Don to return and the doctor to come in. She couldn't keep her mind off the what-ifs. She was also worried that if her exam didn't turn out well then Don would cancel his hip surgery, and she did not want him to do that. As much as she was worried about him having another surgery; she knew how much he needed to have it. He was actually doing well; but she only knew it was because he was resting so much with her. Meryl knew she needed to get her mind off the exam and decided to grab a magazine. Meryl rolled her eyes, it was either Cosmopolitan or Golf and so she chose Cosmo.

***

Don got off the phone with his brother-in-law, who was checking on Meryl, and returned to his wife as soon as possible.  Don paused as he reached her examination room; he looked down at his wedding ring and choked up. He needed a minute; as he leaned against the door of her exam room. He didn't want her to know how scared he was. He thought he was going to throw up and his own heart would stop when he heard that quack of a doctor tell her she was dying. They might as well bury him too. Yes, he had a life apart from her, a nice life; but it didn't mean shit if he didn't have her to share it with. If she wasn't around for him to bounce ideas off of. If he didn't see her every day whether it was in person or on Skype or Facetime; if he didn't hear her voice every day; if she wasn't around for him to tell her he loved her. Nothing mattered in this life without her. She was why he smiled, why he lived, why he loved; she had to be okay. In fact, he would move heaven and earth to make sure she was. Don gathered himself together as he opened the door and smiled when he saw her flipping through a magazine. His smile turned into a smirk when he saw her reading Cosmopolitan Magazine and then he got an idea when he saw on the cover one of the quizzes the magazine held.  "What kind of sexy are you?"