Chapter 14

Meryl was sitting next to Don, holding his hand, after leaving the girls and Ben with Larry and Dana out in the waiting room. Technically, only one person at a time could be in the room with Don. All of the girls and Dana had been in to see Don, just for a few minutes each, but they all got their chance to tell him to fight. All of the girls were devastated at Diane's death. Meryl was trying to be strong for them concerning Diane and Don, but she was breaking on the inside. She was devastated at her friend's death and was worried sick about Don. She knew the doctors said he would be fine but she wouldn't believe it until she saw it with her own two eyes and she heard his beautiful, soothing voice with her own ears. Too much had happened throughout the day for her to believe the doctors without proof. She was so grateful for Larry; not only did he help keep her calm but he also sat with his best friend while she called the family. As Meryl sat there staring at him she could feel Don tighten his hold on her hand; it was in that moment she decided that enough was enough. She couldn't wait anymore, her children couldn't wait anymore. She also knew the sooner he got off the damn ventilator then the better it would be for the health of his lungs. She was terrified he would come to rely on the ventilator and she couldn't let the happen. She stood up as she took his head in her hands and leaned her forehead against his.

"Okay baby, enough is enough. You know me, I am NOT patient. YOU are the patient one. Our girls are out in that waiting room with Larry, Dana, and Ben waiting for you to wake up. Henry is waiting by his phone for some good news. I can't take my eyes off you for fear that I will miss it. I can't take my eyes off you for fear that I will lose you again; I can't, no I WON'T let that happen. Everyone else who loves you wants you to wake up, so it's time. I know you're tired, and I promise you can rest once we know you're okay. I'm breaking Don, and I need you so much. Please come back." Meryl cried. "Last time you said you followed the sound of my voice, do it again. If you can hear me, if you love me, squeeze my hand." Meryl cried tears of joy when he did what she said. "Good baby, good. Now follow the sound of my voice and open your eyes. Come on Don, open your eyes. You can do it. DAMN IT! I'm sorry I didn't mean to yell, but you know how temperamental I can be, you have even said so yourself. Please open your eyes, Don Man, please open them, sweetheart." Meryl cried.

Don was tired but he heard Meryl calling for him. He could hear his wife crying. He hated it when she and their girls would cry. He hated it when Henry would cry but it hardly ever happened anymore. He would always do what he could to cheer his wife and his children up; he hoped he could succeed this time. His eyes were heavy, but he somehow managed to open his eyes. He was rewarded with the view of his beautiful wife, her face etched with love and worry. Don tried to smile, but that damn tube was in his mouth again. He could tell she saw his smile because she placed a kiss on the side of his mouth.

Meryl cried tears of happiness, joy, and relief as she placed kisses all over his face. "Thank God, you're back. I love you. I love you so damn much, Don Man."

Don could look at his wife forever. He remembered that he almost died. He remembered talking to Diane. His poor wife, he couldn't imagine what she had been through between him and Diane. He reached up his hand and wiped away her tears as he reflected back on their lives as parents, their lives as best friends, their lives as husband and wife, and their lives as lovers. She would always say how he was her home, she was his.

***

Meryl was FURIOUS on a December afternoon in 1985. She was sure her pregnancy hormones from being pregnant with their third child didn't certainly wasn't happening, but she was pissed. She stormed into their Manhattan loft apartment and slammed the door. "DON!" She yelled.

"Hey, what's wrong? Mamie is sleeping and Henry is watching TV in our room. Why are you yelling?" Don asked running into the living room where she was; hoping whatever it was wouldn't wake up their 2 1/2 year old daughter.