Chapter 31

The next day Don was finding it hard to concentrate in the studio. He couldn't get what his father did out of his mind; and how upset his wife had been. He was trying to be strong for her and act like it didn't bother him, but it did, it bothered the shit out of him. HOW could his father do that? He couldn't stop his mind from thinking about many different scenarios and one in particular: how much more could Meryl take? How much more was he going to subject her and their children to? He honestly didn't know what to do. He was trying to walk the tight rope between taking care of and protecting his wife and children, and having a relationship with his mother. Don sighed as as he threw down his pencil and sketchpad and walked to the big bay window in his studio. He loved living in Connecticut with his family. He stood there for a long time and watched it snow-the view was absolutely breathtaking. Just as he was about to go back to his work he saw something that he didn't expect-his wife putting suit cases, their children's suit cases, in the back of their 1986 Volvo Station Wagon. Don had no idea what she was doing but he was sure as hell going to find out. He grabbed the letter his father wrote her and ran out of his studio and towards the house.

***

Meryl was busily trying to pack their suitcase. She was trying to take advantage of Grace sleeping, Mamie at preschool, Henry at school and Don in the studio. She knew she didn't necessarily need to worry about Don as he would be in his studio until lunch, but she still wanted to get this done so he wouldn't suspect anything! Meryl was brought out of her thoughts by the sound of her husband's voice, startling her. "Don't do it, please don't do it."

"Don?" Meryl was shocked to see him, and his broken tear filled eyes as she turned towards the door.

Don took her sweatshirt from her she was folding and threw it on the bed. "Don't leave me, don't take the kids, please."

"What?" Meryl had no idea what he was talking about but the tone of his voice, and his broken soul she could see in his eyes was tearing her apart. "Baby, WHAT are you talking about?"

Don knelt down and then grabbed her face in his hands. "I love you and the kids more than anything in this world; you four are my life. I'll change, I promise. I'll change my hours in the studio, we'll have theater nights in the city, I'll get an injunction against him and get his drunken pathetic ass thrown back in jail again; we won't have ANY contact with him. I'll do ANYTHING for you and the kids, baby, ANYTHING! Just PLEASE don't leave me."

"Don." Meryl was speechless as tears streamed down her face; she couldn't believe he thought she was LEAVING him. She would NEVER do that, not in a million years, she couldn't live without him.

Don had tears streaming down is face and pulled the letter out of his pocket."That fucking letter he sent you is complete shit. I couldn't put a price on our love, on what you and the kids mean to me, on the life we share. You and the kids make me everything I am. Please baby, I'm begging you, don't take that away from me. Don't let HIM take that away. If you're unhappy, fine we can talk, just don't leave."

"Never, baby." Meryl cried as she took the letter and ripped it to shreds before throwing it on the ground and crushing her lips to his. "Never."

Don moaned as her tongue swept the inside of his mouth, and his did the same to hers. He turned her and around so she was in between him and the wall. There was no way in hell he was going to lose her, lose them, lose the kids, lose their connection. He trailed wet, hot, open mouthed kisses down her neck as they were both moaning and panting. This was happening quick, but he didn't care. He needed to be inside of her desperately, he needed her to feel his love, he needed to feel her.

Meryl couldn't stop the tears from flowing at his heartache. She could feel the pain and desperation he was feeling as he kissed her. She wanted to wipe away every scar, every feeling of doubt and insecurity. She was desperate for him to feel her love. She had no idea how he could even think that she would leave him. She moaned as his hands went to her jeans and pulled them down her legs, and she did the same for him. They were both ready as Meryl threw her leg over his hip and he moaned as he lifted her other leg and roughly entered her making her scream out in pleasure.