Chapter 19

"You look beautiful." Don smiled as Meryl walked out of the bathroom of his hospital room. She was so elegant and sexy at the same time. She was dressed in a black wrap dress, her hair hung in loose waves, she was wearing her black rimmed glasses and the pearl earrings Don had given her years ago which went with her grandmother's pearls she was wearing. "You ARE breathtaking."

Meryl walked over to him and sat on the bed. "Thanks, handsome. Are you sure you're going to be okay? I can't tell you how much I hate leaving you."

"Baby." Don sighed as he played with her gold wedding band, the sapphire band, and the eternity diamond she was wearing on her left ring finger. "I think I have an idea how much you hate leaving; as much as I hate that I can't go. You need to go, that is the only place you should be. I just wish I could be there for you and the kids."

Meryl kissed his hand. "You're in my heart, our hearts; you'll be with us in spirit. I promise you that I'll come back as soon as the funeral is over."

"No, go to the house after the service with everyone; our kids should go as well. Give my kiddos hugs from me. Maybe you all can come back here after the wake?" Don proposed.

Meryl nodded. She knew he felt left out, and she felt awful, but there wasn't anything any of them could do. "Of course we will. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, sweetheart." Don whispered as she leaned her forehead against his. They stayed like that for a long time until Don wiped away her tears and kissed her nose. "Baby, you need to go. They're expecting you over at the house, the kids are meeting you there."

Meryl sighed. "Yeah, I know."

"Call if you need me." Don said.

Meryl placed a long and loving kiss on his lips. "That's my line."

"Hey, I'm taking care of you now, deal with it." Don tried to tease.

Meryl kissed him again. "I love you, my Don Man."

"You are going to be amazing, I'll be sending you all of my strength. I love you, too, Darl." Don said as he kissed her one more time.

Meryl sighed as she got up, grabbed her coat and purse, and turned back to Don when she got to the door and placed her hand on her heart. "You'll be there."

***

Meryl had to get away from everyone and everything. After making sure Tom and the kids, and hers and Don's kids were okay, Meryl went to have time for herself. It was all too much. Losing her best friend so suddenly. Almost losing Don several times in the past week. She didn't know the last good night's sleep she had. The one person who she could always lean on, who gave her strength wasn't there. She knew he would be there in a New York minute if he could, but he was healing. She would NEVER put his health and life at risk, NEVER. Meryl sat in the parlor of the church sobbing as her heart broke.

***

Don couldn't believe the doctor ACTUALLY released him. He knew his wife wouldn't be happy as she would be afraid it was too soon, but he was THRILLED. Don even had time to go home and change and was at the church before he knew it. He was exhausted, but pushed through for his kids, and for Meryl. Don greeted everyone and explained to the kids who told him they hadn't seen Meryl for a while. Don knew she was probably breaking and started looking for her. His heart broke when he found her at a table in the church parlor with her head in her hands as she sobbed. "Baby."

"DON!" Meryl said as she leapt up and threw her arms around his neck and sobbed into his chest. "Thank God."

Don stroked her hair and held her as tightly as he possibly could without hurting himself. "It's okay baby, let it out. I'm here, sweetheart."