Chapter 21: Exhibition

"Goodnight Kaneki" 

"Goodnight Hinami I'll see you tomorrow OK?"

"OK!" Hinami was in bed as Kaneki said goodnight to her. 

Turning off the lights and exiting her apartment, he sighed with content. Touka had retreated back to her room very quickly after the story and Yoshimura's challenge so Kaneki was a bit concerned. As he walked down the stairs and entered her apartment, he was greeted with a hard embrace from Touka. 

She was silent; not crying. She hugged him with much force, so he hugged her back. 

"Is everything OK Tou.."

"I'm sorry" She cut him off.

Fighting her grip, he separated and looked at her questioningly.

"About what?"

"Last night... You went through all that pain for weeks and when you get back what do I do?... I hit you and yell at you..."

"Touka..."

"Why am I such a bitch?" She was clearly fighting tears now.

"I didn't even give you a c-chance to explain. I'm just so filled with anger"

"You didn't do anything wrong last night. I handled the situation poorly"

"You were selfless Ken"

"I didn't think about how my actions would affect those around me. You just care Touka I understand" He turned a bit red trying to comfort her. "I've experience worse than a slap to the face, even from you haha" 

"...hah" She cracked a half smile. 

"Yeah I guess you have"

"So don't beat yourself up, you're not a bad person Touka" 

"Ken"

"yeah?"

"Thank you, you always make my anger go away. You make me want to be a better person" 

They both turned pink. She had to swallow her pride to say something like that.

Instead of responding he gave her another hug.

"Hey... you wanna watch some TV or something?"

"Always"

Later that night 

Kaneki was lying in Touka's bed staring at the ceiling thinking about the duel that was coming. Yoshimura said it would happen at 12 and he would shut down the café for awhile. 

Touka lay snuggled up to his side with one lazy arm thrown over his chest with her fingers twirling his snow white hair. She remembered what the manager told him.

"Ken?" He didn't answer. 

"Ken!" He looked down to see her frowning at him. 

"How do you feel about fighting the manager?" 

"I don't know... I mean it's not like we're going to kill each other, but I don't want to try and hurt someone so dear to me" 

"Mhm" 

"What did he mean by lead someday?" 

She sighed laying her head closer beside his. 

"No idea..." 

"Hmmm. Well I'll have to get up early and get some light exercise in, make sure my joints are working properly. Still kinda stiff" 

"Going to listen to your "Booty Jams""