Chapter 29: Reflection

"See that movie wasn't so bad now was it" Touka grinned at him behind her bangs. 

"Why do you like horror movies so much?"

"Because of you" Touka spoke nonchanlantly while hitting his shouler.

Kaneki shook his head slowly in response before speaking.

"I suppose I've seen worse things. Like literally to be honest" 

"Mmm" She grabbed his arm. Together they walked down the street and entered a nearby park in the 20th ward. 

"So what do you think of Ayato?" Kaneki questioned. 

"I understand what you saw now, he does seem genuine, plus he'll be pretty entertaining to watch in the shop. Can you believe I used to be like that?" 

"To be honest yes haha" 

"Jerk" 

"Hide and I only came around later, around the time before I got turned into a ghoul so I didn't get to see you when you first started" 

"I'm sure I wasn't too graceful, but I learned quickly. Especially after the old man convinced me to go to school, being around people forces you to be social you know?" 

"Well being around Hide helped me, but I was always fairly introverted, staying to my books and music" 

"A jerk and a nerd, why am I with you again?" 

"Shhhhhh" He laughed. 

It was dark and the moon was shining bright as they continued their peaceful walk. 

"Ken?"

He looked at her trying to read her body language.  

"There's been something I've been wanting to ask you for a long time..."

 He continued looking at her as he raised an eyebrow. She looked away. 

"Do you ever regret being turned into a ghoul? Your life's had some pretty shitty moments after the Rize incident..." 

He thought about it in silence as she became nervous about what he'd say. 

"...No" 

"Really?" 

"I'll admit, my life was pretty much turned upside down that day I went out with Rize. The feeling of not being able to eat human food I loved, running from the CCG, being kidnapped... twice" 

Touka looked towards the ground. She hadn't been helpful to him around that time, even saying he had a place in neither the human or ghoul world. 

"But... There have been good moments too... I gained a new family at Anteiku, gained an understanding of ghouls as people, realizing they aren't monsters. Gotten stronger mentally, physically and socially and most importantly" He looked at her, staring into her violet eyes "I gained you"

A cheesy line of course what else could she expect from Kaneki. 

"I wouldn't change a thing if it meant not having you Touka, you mean the world to me and you know I'd go through all that shit again if I had too" 

Despite his sappiness, he got to her heart directly. A tear slid down her cheek and she forced him into an embrace. 

"So don't worry about me hating my life Touka. I am happy I promise" 

"OK haha" She sniffed wiping away the tear as she separated from him. She felt a lot better as that had weighing on her for awhile. 

"...Actually I do have one regret"