Epilogue: Bliss

Humans... Ghouls... The battle was long and fierce for Kaneki, but eventually using his intellect, half human, half ghoul genetics, unimaginable strength to ensure all ghouls acted in their species best interests, and finally the proof living through his own blood.. A half human half ghoul one eyed daughter miraculously born to Kaneki and Touka a year after they wed. The gap between humans and ghouls was finally being closed. Humans and Ghouls procreating had been unheard of on the human side. Kaneki was able to contact Koutarou Amon and prove the baby was born of both species showing the races could be capable of living more peacefully with other. Amon, being a reasonable man, advocated for the ghouls along with Hide to convince Arima to give this new peace treaty a chance. Tired of the fighting and hopeful for a better future he agreed to give it a shot. He headed development conducting research with Kaneki on development of a human substitute for ghouls to eat, being able to drink coffee could open up many possibilities after all. While not all humans are accepting of this new era, ghoul hunts are now banned and viewed upon negatively in society under the pretense that ghouls stop killing all together. The CCG now merely exists as a force if needed and instead works to assist the ghouls in living without killing for food. With the baby acting as the symbol of a new era of peace and unity between and ghouls, the future is looking much brighter.

6 years later

"Momma, come on I don't want to be late on the first day!"

"Just a moment Rin... Why don't you go get daddy upstairs?"

"OK! Daddy! Daddy!" The young girl yelled cheerfully running towards the stairs.

Touka could only smile as her daughter reminded her so much of Hinami, she'd probably grow up with the same bubbly personality.

Normally the shop would be open at this time, but this was a special occasion. It was Rin's first day of school. At Anteiku, Touka wouldn't have the authority to make that kind of decision, but this wasn't Anteiku. With a little hard work and help from friends, Touka finally managed to open up her own café down the block aptly named ":re" As manager, she decided the hours and she would not miss taking her daughter to school for the first time. 

After no more than 2 minutes, down came Rin being piggybacked by her father, Kaneki.

"Weeeeee!" She exclaimed with her hands tangled in his snow white hair while Kaneki laughed. Touka, of course, was scared of his clumsiness.

"Put her down Ken we have to go"

"Mommy is no fun" Kaneki spoke playfully "Right Rin?"

"Mommy is lots of fun daddy" 

"Rin!" 

"Hah" Touka laughed as she grabbed Rin from Kaneki's back. 

"Let's go" 

"Yay!" Rin jumped down and ran out the door. 

"Rin! come back here" Touka called after her. 

After giving birth, Touka became a worried parent which Kaneki loved to tease her about despite also being a worried parent. It simply wasn't out of character for him to behave that way. Even though things were much better between humans and ghouls, they still had to be reasonably cautious.

"You worry too much. She's just outside the door Touka dear" 

"Shut up" 

He kissed her on the cheek forcing her to smile. 

"Like I said, let's go"

At school

Young kids starting the first grade were running around the classroom. Rin's eyes lightened up at the sight of them, she wanted to go play, but Touka had a firm hold on her hand and was talking to her. 

"Remember don't show your ghoul eye to anybody, it may scare some kids, also remember to be gentle, you're a lot stronger than most kids, also..." 

"Yes momma I'll be good I promise can I go?" 

"...Yes...give me a hug first" Rin gave her mom a quick hug. Kaneki wanted one too so he swooped in picking up his little girl for a moment. 

"Be good, we love you" He spoke to her in a gentle tone. He remembered his own childhood and how his mother had sometimes been abusive, he swore to himself growing up that if ever had kids he would be nothing but gold to them providing them love, protection and care.

"Love you too" She kissed his cheek and hopped down and ran to the other kids. 

Touka stood and watched with Kaneki before he had to pull her out of the building.

Outside, Kaneki noticed the worry on Touka's face. The same face she showed every time he did something dangerous in the past, fighting for freedom. He took her hand. 

"She'll be OK, we told her numerous times how to behave" 

"I know it's just..." 

"Don't worry I can't help but be worried either, but there's no sense dwelling on it, let's go to Anteiku and say hello, it's been awhile" 

Wanting the distraction, she nodded with a grin. Hinami and Ayato worked at Anteiku and being young adults, a romance had shockingly developed between the two. Even though there weren't many years separating Hinami and Ayato from Touka and Kaneki, Touka looked at them and thought of her and Kaneki around that age in the way that they flirted, teased, laughed and joked frequently... not that they didn't do that now. Touka would have never been OK with this years ago but over time with her brother's growing maturity and Hinami blossoming into a young woman she accepted it. They wouldn't have gave her much choice anyway. 

As they approached the café, Touka reflected on her life and how she had once been so unhappy being a ghoul. Feeling alone in the world and like she deserved a miserable death at the hands of the CCG. Then Kaneki happened... He changed her life along with many others. He was the hero to all ghouls, a true savior and she loved him like no other. Touka glanced over at him and squeezed his hand tighter. His eyes shifted towards her curiously. 

"What's with you?" 

"I'm just happy that's all" He smiled lovingly and squeezed back. 

Approaching the building that held so many memories for both of them, they entered the old café to the familiar "ding" 

/Now it's finally over. Sorry this took so long to get completed, but this is actually the first day off work I've had since I've put up the final chapter weeks ago. No exaggeration. The explanation about the peace may have been a bit clumsy but this wasn't meant to be a tokyo ghoul fanfic. It was a Touken fanfic where their relationship is the main focus rather than a subplot. That would be another story on it's own (and currently being told by Sui Ishida) I'm going to officially close the book here. It's great we can all enjoy the real thing together now ( TG :re 125 anybody? haha ;) ;) ) Seriously though thanks very much to everybody who read and interacted with me. I'm a broken record but I do appreciate it really. Have a nice day :) Completed!