Chapter 27: Forgiveness

Touka's eyes opened to the sunlight peering into the room. She turned her head to see Kaneki lying on his back, eyes closed, breathing slowing in and out; a small smile on his sleeping face. She was snuggled close as his bed was significantly smaller than hers. She turned her gaze to the alarm clock, the bane of her existence. The clock read 8:20 am, time to get up for work.

Lazily, she slipped out of the bed and headed to Kaneki's bathroom to clean up. By the time she finished, the alarm clock went off and she heard Kaneki fall out of the bed hitting the floor with a thud. She glanced out the door to see Kaneki lying on the floor.

"What are you doing? Haha"

"I want to shut off the alarm clock, but I don't have the energy"

"Oi, come off it, get up you lazy ass. We have to work in half an hour, get ready"

"Yes mam"

The café was hustling and bustling with the typical early morning coffee rush. Touka and Kaneki were waiting tables and fetching orders without time to think about anything else, namely what would happen after work. Customer's kept them running.

"Excuse me sir? Could I get a large cappuccino?"

"Coming right up"

"Hey miss, could I get a coffee, black?"

"Yes mam right away"

Eventually as the day wore on, Anteiku hit it's typical slowdown, customers would come in to relax and hang out in groups occasionally ordering something. Touka was getting more and more tense as her and Kaneki were starting to glance at the clock.

2 pm,

3 pm,

4 pm hit, one hour let before the end of their shift. Nishiki, of course, noticed them watching the clock.

"Will you two chill? You have a date or something or what?"

Kaneki chuckled, but Touka frowned at him, she didn't feel like firing shots at the moment.

"Ayato's coming by later" Kaneki explained.

"Can I watch?" Nishiki smirked.

Touka shot him daggers.

"Fine I have to work anyway" He sighed.

At 5, Nishiki, Roma and Koma took over work. Touka stared out the window lost in thought. Kaneki grabbed her hand.

"You OK"

"I'm just scared I'm going to get mad again"

"Just give him a chance"

"You'll stay with us right?"

"If that makes you more comfortable, I wasn't planning on being far anyway" She looked out the window again.

"Hey, let's go see Hinami, no sense waiting here"

Touka nodded and Kaneki proceeded to pull her up the stairs. Hinami, cheerful as always, greeted them.

"Kaneki Onii-Chan! Touka Onee-Chan! Come in"

"Hey Hinami" Touka dully responded. Kaneki frowned at her tone and nudged her perking her up.

"Hey Hinami, why don't you show Touka that song you've been working on"

"Do you wanna hear Onee-Chan?"

"I'd love to"

Hinami grabbed her hand and pulled Touka on the bench beside her as Kaneki settled on the couch. Hinami played a simple, but cute song.