Chapter 22: Partners

Anteiku had opened back up for the day and things resumed as normal. 

Kaneki was in his room dyeing his hair black again while Touka stood in the doorway. He looked at her face trying to guess what she was feeling, but couldn't come up with anything. 

"Is something going on?" 

No response. 

"Touka?" 

"I was wondering if you would" it was hard for her to ask "Train me to fight? I want to get stronger too" 

Kaneki's eyes widened at her question, Touka was largely responsible for him learning to fight in the first place and now she was asking for his help. 

"I don't know if I can help you though, you kinda taught me everything I know. My fighting ability hasn't really gotten better more so than I've simply gotten stronger and sharper thanks to my "half ghoulness" I guess" 

"Well you obviously learned a few things from your experience" 

He continued staring at her. 

"Alright... well we could be training partners? Spar a bit and give each other tips?" 

"Great" She beamed. Something he wasn't used to seeing.

"You can work out with me too if you want" 

"You wouldn't mind?" She questioned

"Of course not, I love spending time with you" 

She blushed.

"Alright you're on" 

"When do you want to start?" 

"How about after your hair dries?" 

 With that settled, they chattered on about other topics including the double date and Kamii. Kaneki enjoyed these parts the most, the casual feeling of talking and laughing without any stress or tension from life. 

"Alright I'm good let's go" 

Before long, they were standing face to face back in the underground lot. Touka released her kagune, a bright beautiful wing of fire she could crystallize and shoot shards with. 

Kaneki released two of his red tentacles

"You attack, I'll defend let's see what you're made of rabbit" 

She put on her mask for effect. 

"Here I come Eyepatch!" She charged at him with speed only an ukaku ghoul, other than Kaneki, could achieve. She used a creative combination of shard shots and kagune slice swings to optimize her chance of landing effective strikes. Kaneki blocked her swings with his own kagune and was able to dodge the shards. He jumped away.