48

Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.
-Fulton Oursler

Lyra felt like Laurent had punched her in the face.

How could he think I would do such an awful thing?

She pushed away from him, deeply shocked that he would think she was capable of killing his… baby.

I would never knowingly harm a child.

Lyra figured, if she was pregnant it would have been the night of the sky show. It was the only time she could have but she made sure she didn't get pregnant. She took the morning after pill.

No, no it couldn't be. That's not how it works, is it? But what if it was how it worked. I could have... I didn't mean to but I did. I killed his baby.

She gasped as her face fell. She couldn't believe it, she felt sick. She covered her mouth and ran away as tears blurred her vision.

~~~

Larry was on his way back to the hospital when he received a text from Ashlie.

A: “Hey, your brother around?”
L: “Na, why?”
A: “He hasn't answered any of my texts.”
L: “He with Ly. I on my way to them.”
A: “Is he okay?”
L: “Yea he smile in his sleep.”
A: “I’m glad she’s ok now. Will you ask if he still wants me do the thing?”
L: “I check with my brother.”
A: “Let me know.”

Larry arrived just as Lyra’s doctor congratulated her on passing the evaluation and wish her continued recovery.

“That great!” Larry smiled, “Where my brother?”

Lyra thanked him as she grabbed her bag. She hurriedly shoved all her belongs inside then closed her bag and walked towards the door.

“Ly, what wrong?” He asked as she walked past him.
“I'm sorry, I- thank you for everything.” Lyra kissed his cheek then walked out avoiding eye contact. Catarina followed but returned a minute later.
“She said Laurent told her about the failed pregnancy. She needs to get some distance to come to terms with it.” Catarina sighed.

~~~

She said she wanted children with me. So she wouldn't kill my baby. Was it an accident?

His heart clenched as an unwanted thought crept into his mind. Maybe it wasn't his baby. Maybe she got rid of Vincent's baby and didn't tell him.

He realized he didn't feel any better to think that the baby was not his, just the opposite he felt something ugly bubbling up inside him.

They always told each other the truth, even when it was hard. She would have told him if she knew she was pregnant. She wouldn't deny it, he knew her better than that.

Laurent thought about the different expressions that he tried to read on Lyra's face and her reactions to his question. He wasn't able to read all of them but he recognized her hurt very clearly. It was the same look she had when she realized her father sold her. He felt his heart ache when he saw that expression, knowing he was responsible for her pain. The pain in his heart increased, the more he thought about it. He needed to talk to her.

~~~

Lyra called Jam to pick her from the hospital. He took one look at her face and knew something bad had happened.

“Need anything?” He asked and she lifted her arms to him. He smiled and hugged her.
“No, piggyback ride.” Lyra whined with a pout. He snorted and kneeled down so she could get on his back then carried her to his vehicle.