10

His hands rubbed her shoulders and arms like she was cold but she was far from it.

She tried tracing his tattoo with her fingers but he instantly grabbed her wrist yanking it away from him. She started to pull away when he kissed her palm then held it to his chest for a few moments before he resumed rubbing her arm.

She couldn't shake the uneasy feeling. Did he wanted her to leave him alone or stay. When she asked him, his only answer was squeezing her shoulder lightly. Some time later he paused rubbing her arm kissed the top of her head then continued rubbing.

Lyra wanted to ask him what was wrong, beg him to talk to her, confide in her but the nagging possibility of making things more complicated stopped her. She decided to remain still and quiet. She waited for him to give her any indication of what to do but she woke up alone.

She was a little irritated when she realized she woke up before 5 am. She looked around but found no note in the room or messages on her phone from Laurent. She showered, changed into her workout clothes and checked in with her assistants.

As she was packing her gym bag, Laurent walked in carrying breakfast, coffee and tea.

"Thank you for breakfast." She brushed her lips across his cheek.
"Why are you up? I was going to serve you breakfast in bed." Laurent complained putting the food down.
"I'm sorry Papa. I couldn't sleep any longer." Lyra caressed his cheek and pretended not to notice him freeze before he looked away.

He carried her back to the bed and set her down.

"Don't move." He instructed as he left the room.

He came back with an egg white omelet, tea and fruit.

"Say ahh!" He said holding a fork full of food in front of her mouth.

Lyra did as she was told and he fed her breakfast. After a few bites and still no eye contact, Lyra sighed and against her better judgment she voiced her concerns.

"Everything ok?" Lyra asked and immediately Laurent's face changed. "What's wrong?" Lyra lifted his head to look at her. Laurent's eyes shifted away from her and the pain she felt from his apparent refusal to make eye contact was like being skewered through the chest.

"Laurent?"

He put down her plate and walked out the room.

"Wait Laurent, please?" She scrambled off the bed. "Laurent!"

He grabbed his breakfast and walked out the door.

"Laurent!" Lyra rushed out after him but he was already in the elevator and the doors half way closed when she called to him.

Lyra woke up with his name still on her lips. She didn't need an interpreter to tell her what chasing someone in a dream meant. She was having second thoughts about telling him.

He looked at her with a wide open mouth from the beginning. Before she told him her secret, she told him about Alejandro King. She also told him that Larry saw him kiss her face yesterday at the club. He just looked at her when she pushed his chin up to close his mouth.

She waited for him to digest what she told him. She concluded by telling him that it was probably better if he took some time to think about what she said, then watched as he walked out in a sort of daze.

Now she wondered if he made it back to his hotel okay. Maybe she should call and check on him. She frowned, what if he didn't want to hear from her.

Then nothing, you move on.