~Chapter 14~

[Aaron]

*~*~*

"I love you."

A rising fall.

A sinking ascent.

An oxymoron without effort.

A short stop to cloud 9.

Or a highway detour to your -

Demise.

*~*~*

My mom drags on and on about this new guy that she had found interesting, when in reality I've met who I thought was the love of my life in the short span of a month and then quickly dismissed it when everything fell to shit after the 'alleged first date'. It was still an amazing night out with the two of them, but I can't help but to see Roman in a different light. Maybe even the same light I see Skylar under.

"He's a great asset to have on the red carpets Ronny. Don't turn this one down please. Supporting all those gay rights thing is really beneficial, it can give you a good name if you do it right." Her voice threatening to a point where I begin to doubt the sincerity of her intentions. I've always thought she does it out of a good heart, but as time drawls on, I just think she wants me to get a girl that is presentable. Or boy now, in this case.

"No ma, I'm not going on an arranged date. I have to go; the company doesn't run itself." I sigh inwardly, conjuring up enough courage to cut the line, but I can't. "You... take care alright? I love you." Then, I cut the line. It never sits well with me that people have the courage to just slam the phone after being upset with whoever is one the other side of the line, it's rude and leaves the conversation with no resolution. I personally can't live without closure.

I look around my office, not a speck of the Christmas spirit I love so much. It just doesn't sit well with me that Christmas is in two days and I haven't had the time to put up anything. And I'm on my 16th hour since the minute I woke up. There isn't even anyone at the office anymore.

Sometimes I question why I torture myself like this. Then the intercom rings. "Mr. Solomon, there is a Mr. Cook here. He wishes to see you." I am so tired I almost ask which one, but of course, that won't do any good, at this tired state I can barely tell them apart myself. "He said he's the older one."

I chuckle when I hear the guard mutter 'the fuck' under his breath, some people just don't remember that twins are a canon phenomenon that occurs naturally. "Let him in. Thank you, George." It's definitely an ungodly hour to still have stacks and stacks paperwork to do, so the occasional visit is welcomed.

I give myself a couple minutes' break, letting my eyes flutter shut and wait for Ryland to come up to my desk. Funnily enough, what plagues my mind isn't work, but the conversation with my mother. I'd like to believe that she is a kind soul, and it's a fair point that I am 29 and still single as fuck. That one week boyfriend thing accounts for something I suppose... All too soon a knock comes. "If you're not Ryland, please come in after another 2 minutes."

"I-if I am?" Ryland's muffled voice came. I groan and push the unlock latch, straightening myself out the best I can. "I am so sorry for coming at this time of the day, my boyfriend just wanted to go on a date and then it didn't quite work out so we just lounged at home before something came up and he drove me here and anyway. Sorry Mr. Solomon."

"Oh please, Skylar basically married the five of us, we are all family even if you don't like it." Pulling my tie off completely since there is no need to be formal anymore. "Before we get to the serious bullshit, how are you two doing, and Felix of course."