~Chapter 16~

A/N: Papa Cook keeping it real and classy ;)

[Skylar]

*~*~*

Family is like a magnet to steel.

It's not the magnet, nor is it the steel;

It's the invisible force between them.

A force that attracts two or more people in need,

It doesn't matter the blood relation.

Because family is who you choose to love,

And love is plastic.

*~*~*

"Up, up and awake!" I stumble my way into Ryland's room. Or Ryland and Felix's room since they sleep together now. They make a good couple. And they better not break up because I'm not looking forward to the trouble it will take to tend to the two of them equally. "Wake up! It's Christmas!"

They don't move, instead just snuggle tighter. I slide under the blanket, wiggling myself in between the two. As if it's a visceral response Felix opens his arms and hug me. Well this didn't go as planned. I guess if you can't beat them, join them. "You're being loud." Ryland grumbles.

"It's 7 in the morning, and I don't have work. Let me sleep for like two seconds." Ryland continues sulking after taking a glance at the clock, it's a super cool one too, it projects the time onto the ceiling so you can just look up and read the time. Felix on the other hand, is brushing the sleep from his eyes, his lips graze over my onesie covered shoulder. Felix knows how much Christmas means to me, and I love him for that.

"Alright, I'll make you two breakfast." My best friend says. Leaning over to smack Ryland across the head, he groans. When his lips come close to me I push him away.

"No no no, I'm not going to be the reason you two have a fight." If it means both of them are happy then I will give up morning kisses. That's what I'm here for right? Captain Cookie rescuing frowning souls one at a time.

Felix ruffles my hair and puts on some clothes. At least he's not naked with his thing hanging out... Small victories Skylar.

"Better get up in 5 minutes Chef. Or Skylar will whip out his megaphone."

"Why the fuck do you have a megaphone Bambi?" His groggy voice comes as he tucks me into his chest like I'm a body pillow. It feels kind of nice.

"That's a dollar. And I have it because... I don't know really."

"Pfft. Right, forgot you're my brother for a second." His legs tense and stretches out. Suddenly the air shifts, becoming rather serious. "Hey Bambi... why does Felix have all those scars?"

My heart lurches at the memories of him being violent but I make no move to panic, I'm with my brother, everything is safe. "H-he used to get into fights and stuff." And he did drugs and he stole from innocent people... But I still love him very much.

"Oh." He slides into a charmander onesie. He said Charizard is the coolest. I like Squirtle more. "He looks kind of badass with them."

"I know right?!" I jump up, almost slipping because my feet are covered in fabric. "He used to hate them, but I think he's like one of those marine guys that fight in wars and stuff." I'm suddenly very excited, I feel very proud of Felix. He overcame his family and his past, choosing to be a completely different person altogether. A caring, empathetic, father-figure.

The three of us make conversation over breakfast which is over very quickly since I am very excited about the presents under the tree. I'd like to say that all three of us are equally excited but I'm on a whole new level of anticipation.