~Chapter 26~

[Skylar]

*~*~*

Recovering is not salvaging.

Salvaging is not repairing.

To salvage, is to merely gather the broken pieces.

To repair, is to put those broken pieces together.

To recover, is to have the mind to make use of those repaired pieces.

Or some might say;

Self consciousness.

*~*~*

1 year ago, Age 22

It was my last day interning at the school, high school students are really something else but the students were all nice to me. They wrote me a card this morning during homeroom and now I'm taking more or less the same class for a final time in Music. Teaching is definitely everything and nothing I expected, I love it though, taking care of young souls like I once was. So cool!

"Are you going to be back here Mr. Cook?" Brason asked, he's a very nice boy with an incredibly talented voice. They are all in their second last year of school and those that are doing music really have a thing for it or are pursuing to do something with it and that makes me so happy for them.

"Oh Brason. I don't know yet, I have a couple months more of university before I can really apply to schools, but I hope you will all have me back. It's a great school here." Of course, I've always aimed to be a primary school teacher, high school isn't too bad though, not as bad as when I was in school. But that might only apply to this school, I'd be damned if I went back to the one I came out of.

"Oh... I hope you come to my final exam performance. Your voice is amazing." He compliments, a boy by the name of Taylor comes over. Taylor Gunnolf, the school's 'it boy'. He's a very free soul, super charming and charismatic. He's also very kind and compassionate. As a teacher, he probably isn't the best influence, he gets into fights for justice, the topic of distraction in materialistic girls, but to me, this boy is nothing but a heart of gold and a mind of great intentions.

"I hope you come back, see me beat those homophobic pricks to dust." Taylor swings his fists, faking to hit Brason, the boy just laughs. They are good friends. I'm really going to miss all of them. Maybe I will come back to teach high school some day. I mastered in art and music along with my education certificate. So I do have qualification to be a senior's teacher.

I frown when I see Taylor frown, he's a really tall and well built boy for his age, but I am glad he is a nice kid. He reminds me of Felix. Justice carved into his chest and wears his strength on his sleeves. "School's going to be so fucking boring without you Skylar..."

"Hey don't swear in school." I wave my pen in front of him, smiling as Brason chuckles. "You'll live Taylor. I used to have a speech impediment, and I'm not proud of it. My best friend helped me a lot and you resemble him. And see where I am now, teaching a bunch of distracted pillars of the future." I told him outright, he deserves the love. Unfortunately, rumours go around in the staff rooms, and from what I heard, Taylor has had significant issues with his sexuality and home. And I want him to know that, if it's true, he should be proud that he is standing here, alone.

I pull Taylor aside for a quick word, I'd really like to be my usual preppy self, but high school standards are high (no pun intended) and I'm not going to get kicked out on my last period of my last day. "What's wrong teach? I'm not in trouble, am I? That asshole Leo deserved it." He growls, he really resembles Felix.

"No Taylor." I soften my voice, growing incredibly attached to this kid. I've always had a soft spot for people that suffer problems and have to pretend they are fine. Great minds think alike, not saying I am great. "I heard things. And I'm sorry if this isn't true. But it's because someone that behaves exactly like you that I get to stand here today and live life the way I do. Don't let other's bring you down, if you don't learn anything from me, at least take away this one thing." He looks like he's about to cry, still with a smile on his lips, and so was I. I don't want to believe that Taylor is suffering, he's too kind for that. "If you don't save yourself first, don't think about saving others. You might not be lucky like I am and have someone behind my back all the time..."