Chapter 9 - Trials

"Who do you think these guys are?" Nate asks, studying the gibbet and Sam shrugs. "Those who prove false. I guess."

"I think Avery, or Thomas Tew, are just trying to scare us." (Y/N) suggests and Nate smirks.  "Good thing we're jaded treasure hunters." He jokes, jumping over the gap in the bridge and stumbling as it wobbles.

"These bridges are clearly not built to code." Sam mutters, following his lead and Nate nods.  "Of course they are... The pirate code."

Using another rock slide, they get across to the ledges and pull themselves up. Keeping a steady pace, (Y/N) is first through a door and Nate follows, stepping on a stone that decompresses.

"No, no, no, no!" Sam exclaims, turning back to the door that had rolled back over and closed them in.  "Well, we're not going back that way." He concludes.

Groaning, (Y/N) sighs.  "At least we didn't get dropped into a pit or something." She states and he gives her a look.

"Found another switch." Nate calls, grimacing at the skeleton, his hand still stuck from failing the elaborate puzzle. "Yeah, just gonna take the... Hand... Out." He mutters and the spikes retreat.

"Jesus." Sam mutters and the wheel at the top begins moving. "So, it's a pretty elaborate test?" He says, watching once the covers open to show wheels at the bottom.

"Or trial?" (Y/N) counters and Nate motions.  "Yeah. One this guy clearly failed." He throws the hand down.

"Then let's do better." Sam says.

**

"Okay, that's gotta be it." Nate states triumphantly after solving it and Sam stands from sitting with (Y/N) on a rock.  "Well, let's find out."

With a scoff, Nate points to him. "Let's? So you're gonna pull the switch?" He asks.

"Oh, no, no. I'd hate to deprive you of that privilege." Sam smirks and Nate rolls his eyes, wearily placing his hand in.  "Of course." He mutters, squeezing his eyes shut. Pulling the handle, he opens his eyes once nothing happens to him and the door opens.

"So, if that was a test.... What do you suppose it was testing, exactly? Filling a bucket?" Sam asks.

"Had to know about St Dismas, who I bet Avery and his crew were intimately familiar with." Nate answers. 

"Not that hard of a test."

"Maybe it's not the only one?" (Y/N) prompts.

They carry on, climbing through catacombs and ending up at a wall. Nate shushes them, forcing the other two to come to a halt next to him. He motions to the gap and she frowns, pressing herself against it.

"Anything noteworthy by the dormitories?"

"Not unless you count some cleverly worded headstones." A mercenary replies.

"Have you finished digging by the chapter house?"

"We have, ma'am. The northwest sites are wide open as well."

"And what about the southern perimeter?" A door creaks open whilst the man answers. "Not yet. It'd take us a day to move the crane over there."