Chapter Nine

{The inspiration for this chapter came from Brother by Falling In Reverse.}
_______________________
It's been a few months since I joined. So far I've only went on missions to clear out spots that could be used for Brotherhood posts. I shifted uncomfortably and whined a bit, "Do I have to wear this? I'm already mutated.." My voice sounded weird through the Power Armor.
"We can't take risks. Were going to the Glowing Sea. The radiation there could finish you off," Danse replied, "Now be quiet. We have to stay on point."
I sighed as we kept walking. My ears perked up and I motioned for Danse to stop. I heard quiet growling and snarling. "Yao guai" I whispered to him. We got our weapons ready and snuck up to the mutated bear. It was asleep. "Shoot when I say so" I whispered to Danse as I got my knife out. He nodded and pointed his rifle at it while I snuck up to it. I counted to three in my head and stabbed one side of it's neck, "NOW!"
The yao guai attempted to fight back as Danse started shooting at it. Once a shot hit it's neck I sliced the knife to the other side and it stopped moving. I put my knife away as I heard Danse speak behind me, "You never cease to impress me. Good job, Knight." I blushed lightly, silently thanking god for the helmet covering my face. I thanked him and we continued walking through the night.
I sighed and started going deep into thought. It was almost the 18th anniversary of his death.. My ears flattened as I remembered that day. Bella came to terms with it when she realized that she had people to take care of. I never really did..
"Were here." I heard as I was snapped out of my trance. I looked ahead of me and saw nothing but green. Now I'm kinda glad I wore the Power Armor. "What are we getting anyway?" I asked Danse as we walked into the radiation. "Theres a pre war device Proctor Quinlin wanted." I nodded and kept quiet.
When we arrived I looked around. I went on alert and my tail puffed up but I had no idea why. As we went into the building I noticed the quietness. "It's too quiet..." I muttered to myself. As we went downstairs we suddenly got swarmed by a ton of ghouls. I yelped and started shooting at them. I finished off the ones that were swarming me and noticed that Danse had quite a bit more ghouls after him. I quickly threw a molotov cocktail at them before shooting at them, hoping I didn't injure Danse. As the last few dropped dead, I noticed Danse was kneeling and breathing hard, "Paladin are you okay?" I asked him a bit worried. He nodded and as I helped him up I noticed his helmet broke. I took mine off and handed it to him.
He looked at it and shook his head, "No you need it."
"Paladin Danse, with all do respect, I honestly don't. I'm more resistant to radiation than humans."
I smirked as he sighed in defeat and took it.
We walked around and started searching containers. While looking through a trunk I came across some weird looking device. "This it?" I asked Danse. He looked over and nodded, "Lets go."
I nodded and we left the building. Danse snapped a vertibird signal and threw it. As we were waiting he started talking, "I want to see you tomorrow morning. There's something we need to discuss."
I nodded and saw a vertibird. Once it landed I got on by myself for once and we took off to the Prydwen.
-Next day-
Danse's POV
I walked around the airport waiting for Knight Annette. I growled slightly. I was pissed that she's late. Also a bit worried. She's never been late.
"Paladin Danse, is something wrong?" I looked at Haylen, "Yes. Knight Annette was supposed to be here two hours ago. This isn't like her..." I trailed off.
"Why not ask her family? Maybe she's there."
I sighed and nodded. I left the airport and by the time I got to her house it was past noon. I knocked on the door and Adam answered, "What is it?"
He didn't seem to like me. I dont know why though. "I'm looking for Annette. Is she here?"
His eyes widened and quickly turned around and yelled upstairs, "MOM WHAT DAY IS IT?"
"THE 14th! WHY?"
He muttered and looked back at me, "It's the 18th anniversary of our father's death. She usually hides herself to avoid anyone. She could be anywhere but check small places first."
My eyes widened, "I'm sorry about your father."
"Yea yea. I never knew him so I don't really feel sad."
I awkwardly coughed before saying my goodbyes. When I got back to the airport, it was nighttime. I say Haylen run to me, "I found her! But the problem is.. she wont come out. Or talk.. at all. Follow me."
I sighed in relief knowing she wasn't anywhere dangerous. I followed Haylen to the vertibird pad and to the door of one of the tunnels.
"She's in there."
Regular POV
"She's in there."
Why couldn't they leave me alone? I sighed and looked into the night sky and pulled my knees to my chest, my face a bit puffy. I heard a door open and shut before footsteps walking towards me. "Annette..?" I peeked over my shoulder and saw Danse before hiding my face. I don't like people seeing me weak..
I felt him sit next to me and wrap his arm around my shoulder, "It's okay.. Your nephew told me.."
I whimpered softly, "I...I should've helped him... he died because of me... my mom died because of me.. Everyone I love.. everyone I knew before all this.. died in my fault.." I felt tears quickly start. I felt his arm tighten around me, "He didn't tell you everything did he..?" I asked shakily as I looked at Danse. He shook his head and i sighed and looked away, "A-As you know.. we were alive before the war.. well about 33 years after the bombs fell was when the institute made their way into people's nightmares. Anthony.. he always protected me. But one day.. they overpowered him.. kidnapped us both.. we were forced to stay there for over 80 years.. They kept us as a trophy. That they had not one, but two of the rarest species. He was married there...
We had been planning to escape for months.. but "Father" found out.. he was gonna have us killed and made into synths. We ran. Bella, she was first in the relay. I tried to help him but he pushed me into the relay with her.. The synths reached us... and I did nothing... Bella tried to rush him.. but all he did was smile and wave... I could see in his eyes... he was scared.. I should've helped him... he should be with Bella.. not me.."
"He saved you because he knew you wouldn't abandon her." I looked at Danse a bit surprised. He's not mad at me..
"W-Well yea.. but I still shouldve been stubborn like I usually am.. but I wasn't.." i started to cry again. He held me tightly as I hid my face in his chest. "It's okay Anne.. It wasn't your fault.." I heard him say before I felt him pet my head.
I eventually calmed down. I looked up at him and he was looking at the sky. I went to kiss his cheek and thank him but he turned his head at the last minute. I kissed him. I kissed Danse. Least to say i was more surprised when i felt him kiss back.