Chapter Twenty

I teared up and ran inside, "IZZY? ADAM, BELLA?!" All of a sudden I heard footsteps from the stairs, "Annette?!" I was suddenly engulfed in a hug by all of them. When I pulled away Adam grabbed my arm, "Anne what happened?" I sighed as Anthony walked in. They went to hug him. It was then I noticed a familiar face standing at the stairs. "D-Danse..?" He looked at my arm with a shocked face. I quickly ran and hugged him tightly. As he hugged back I could pick up some quiet "aws" and glared at Izzy. She laughed and Adam spoke, "Aunt Anne, I think you need to explain something to us." I nodded and sighed, "Well... After the whole ordeal with Danse, I started heading to the Prydwen. On my way there I had gotten kidnapped, the Institute had been stalking me. Found out I was in the Brotherhood. Father.. he.. forced me to talk. He tortured me, starting with my arm. When it got to be too much I had cracked... I told him a lie. That the Brotherhood had given up and was headed back to the Capital Wasteland. The gullible idiot believed me but my arm was too badly damaged.. they had to amputate it..." I paused and looked at my stomach, holding it lightly, "He had planned to install a synth component within me but... there were complications. The synths, they have human DNA within them. Meaning that, in rare occasions, a synth becomes fertile. And Danse, he's one of the rare ones," I looked up at his shocked face and smiled, "Turns out, I'm pregnant. And they couldn't install it in fear of hurting the fetus."
Suddenly we heard a huge explosion and my eyes widened. I started having flashbacks to when the bombs dropped.
-Flashback-
I laid down in my room, emotionless. Mango came in and jumped on my bed with one of her treats in her mouth. She dropped it next to me and nudged my chest with her paw. Mango, I got her as an emotional support pet. Ever since mom died I've barely ate, or come out of my room even. I saw her ears flatten and she climbed in the crease of my neck and cuddled into me. Felix, being the oblivious dumbass he is, then came in and took the treat before Anthony came in as well, "Annie get up. You need to eat." I looked at him quietly. He sighed, "Look, if you eat, I'll take you to Nuka-World. Okay?" I shrugged. I didn't want to go to Nuka-World. I want my mom back... I wanted Winter dead.
"Annie.. it's been over a week since you ate. I lost dad. I lost mom. And if you keep this up, I'm gonna lose you too... You're all I have left Annette..." I felt bad. He's going through the same shit I'm going through, and I haven't even attempted to make sure he's okay. I sighed and sat up, "I'm sorry Anthony.. I just... she died on my birthda-" Suddenly we heard Sirens. Anthony quickly got up and looked through my curtains and I followed him. It was chaos. Soldiers, Tanks, Power Armor buddies.. I quickly turned on the radio, "... Followed by blinding flashes... There have been confirmed nuclear destinations in New York and Pennsylvania..." I looked at Anthony scared to death. Mango and Felix were going crazy. I started sobbing, I was scared. We hadn't planned for anything like this.. I felt Anthony hug me tightly, "Well be okay... We're gonna be fine..." Suddenly there was a huge explosion. "I'm finally gonna meet you, dad..." that was all I thought before we got knocked down by the explosion.
"H-Huh..?" I groaned. My head was pounding. Was that all a dream? I finally opened my eyes and gasped. Everything.. it's all gone... "ANTHONY!" I quickly looked around for him. I heard shuffling and walked through what used to be my bedroom wall and saw him under some light rubble. I looked at him and gasped, "ANTHONY YOU HAVE EARS!" He groaned and sat up before his eyes widened. "You do too.." I felt my head as he got up and sure enough, I had what felt like cat ears. I looked at him scared, "W-What do we do now...?" He sighed and replied, "We survive."
-Flashback Over-
I woke up and rubbed my head. I felt metal and instantly looked at my hand. Oh yea... I got up and left my room as my ears perked up on a conversation, "Is she going to be okay?"
"For the last time Danse, Yes. She's been through a lot lately. Plus that explosion might have triggered something in her." I walked downstairs and saw Anthony sitting next to Danse. "Guys..? What happened..? I had a dream of when the bombs dropped..." Danse smiled slightly, "We don't have to worry about the 'boogeyman' anymore." I can't believe it... The Institute is gone... We're free... This starts a new chapter for the Commonwealth.