Chapter Seventeen

I sighed and followed the point on my pipboy. I still can't believe he's a synth.. I squeaked as I nearly tripped on a turret. I looked over the edge and noticed a building. This is it. I quickly disabled the turrets before jumping down. I snuck in and disabled the protectron as well. I logged into the terminal and granted electricity to the elevator as I went down, that dreadful feeling came back. The doors opened and I ducked down as I saw two protectrons. I snuck to their terminal and quickly disabled them. I looked  behind the terminal and saw him.. he was sitting on his bed without his Power Armor. My ears flattened. I realized. I don't care what he is. I love him. He loved me even though I'm a mutant. This shouldn't be any different.
I hesitantly walked into the room he's in. He had his head in his hands and looked stressed. He didn't notice me walk in, or just didn't care. "D-Danse..?"
His head snapped up and I was suddenly engulfed in a hug and I quickly hugged back. "You know don't you..?" He looked at me as I nodded, "I was sent here to kill you... But there's no way in hell I'm going through with it."
"Annette... you have to. It's your duty. I taught you to be loyal to the Brotherhood-" I cut him off, "No, Danse. You taught me to be loyal to what I think is right. Elder Maxson isn't right. Synth or not, you deserve to live."
He smiled softly, "Annette I want to be the example. Not the exception." I started to tear up, "NO! HE CAN'T DO THIS! After everything youve done for the Brotherhood, all the blood you spilled! He cant do this! I don't care what you are, you're still my Danse..." He looked at me with shock before kneeling down to my height and wiping the tears I didn't know had fallen, "Thank you. I needed to hear that. But Annie... If I'm still gonna live, I need to leave.." My ears flattened. "I understand, Danse. I love you.." He smiled softly and placed something in my hand before kissing me deeply, "I love you too Annette. These are my holotags. To show to Maxson so he believes that I'm dead." I nodded and hugged him tightly. As he hugged me back I heard him muttering, "I wish he had someone else do this. He never liked to do the dirty work."
After what felt like seconds he let go, "You go ahead and head up.. I'll be up in a minute." He nodded and left to the elevator as I went around and grabbed the stuff he left behind. As I went up, I got nervous. I had no idea why..
I walked out of the elevator and when I walked outside my heart dropped, "Why is he not dead?!" My ears flattened and I sighed, "I couldn't do it. He doesn't deserve to be destroyed-" "HE IS A SYNTH. AN EXAMPLE OF SCIENCE THAT'S GONE TOO FAR! Now, are you going to kill him or do I have to?" Danse looked at me and smiled, "Anne, do what you have to do. Just know; I'm not going down with any anger or regrets." I looked in his eyes and I saw fear. The same fear I saw in Anthony's eyes...
My tail puffed up and I glared at Maxson, "After all I've done for you, you have to listen to me. You owe me that much," He sighed and motioned me to go on, "Danse has done so much for the Brotherhood-" Danse cut me off and continued, "All the emotions I felt, sorrow, pride, hope," He looked at me, "Love.. They are what make me human." Maxson looked at me, "Love? That... thing can't love." I growled, "No, YOU can't love. Danse has shown me love, while you just.. Forced yourself on me. Thinking you can get whatever you want. Speaking of that, how would the rest of the Brotherhood react if they knew their Elder attempted to rape one of their own, let alone one that happens to be a mutant hm?" They both looked at me shocked. Maxson glared at me, "Is that a threat?" I smirked smugly and crossed my arms, "No. It's blackmail."
Maxson glared harder at me, "Fine. Say your goodbyes and come back to the Prydwen when you're done," He then looked at Danse, "You are to not speak to anyone in the Brotherhood, do you understand?" Danse nodded calmly but I could see he was pissed. As Maxson flew back to the Prydwen, I looked at Danse, "Well.. I guess this is goodbye.." He smiled and kneeled to my hight, "No it's not. I've decided to stay here. And I don't care what he says, he can't keep me away from you. I'll just have to make the Post as comfortable as possible." I smiled widely and he asked, "But really. How come you still love me even though I'm a synth..?" I looked at him in the eyes, "The same reason you love a mutant. You looked over that. You helped me at one of my weakest times and praised me at my best. Plus you didn't kill me and my family when you found out that we were mostly mutants. I really liked that." I smiled sheepishly as he chuckled.
"You should head back. I'll see you later." And with that he kissed me and went back inside the post. As I was walking away from the post, my ears perked up. I could hear someone following me. I was fixing to run but it was too late. Someone- A Courser, had covered my mouth and held me tightly, "B6-98 Relaying back with Annette."