*Chapter 20: Redcoat*

30th of December

Y/N's P.O.V

The amount of stress I'm experiencing right now is enough to kill a person. Staying in the army is getting more and more serious every day and that means I have to lie frequently. Then the whole "keeping track of all your lies" starts building up. It's just too much!

Even Charles can't get me out of the mess I made for myself. I've thrown myself in a hole with some rope, expecting to be rescued by someone else. 

So you may ask yourself, why are you so stressed?

Let's start with Washington. He had asked me a while ago to accompany him to the winter ball together with Alexander. But I can't. Because Y/N is already going with the Hamilton family. I tried every excuse in the book but he is still forcing me to go. 

Second, I had been staying in my tent for the past couple of days. Why? Because apparently yelling at another general who insulted your general isn't allowed. Washington told me to stop cursing at the general, but I didn't. So now I'm grounded and banned from joining the battle in Georgia.

Do you know what I was assigned to do while everyone was out fighting? To stay put in my tent. 

F*ck that. I thought and headed outside when everyone finally left. It was very late at night and everyone left about an hour ago. I decided to walk around to get some fresh air when I heard something.  

I followed the sound before noticing a soft light illuminating from Washington's tent. When the flap opened, I immediately hid behind another tent. By second nature, I reached for my gun. My eyes widened as a redcoat exited the tent. He was holding some kind of document in his hands. Whatever it was, it must've been important. 

He turned his back to me and began walking away. My heartbeat pulsed against my chest as I slowly approached him, ready to do the infamous "tackle and kill". And when I pulled out the ground beneath his feet and he fell on his stomach, I pushed my boot on his neck and readied myself to shoot him in the head. "Get off me!!!" He yelled as he began squirming around, making it difficult to get a clear shot. 

He eventually managed to grab my other boot and pull as hard as he could, making me fall down on my back. He quickly got up and ran as fast as he could. I immediately scurried to my feet and did a leap of faith to tackle him with my entire body. He landed on his back and I landed on top of him. This gave me front row seats to look the man, who I was about to shoot, in the eyes.

Gene. My fiancée.

I can't just kill him, can I? My hands were tied at this point. What was I supposed to do? Kill my maybe future husband or let him get away and suffer the consequences? What did he even steal? Battleplans? He didn't seem to recognize me. Wouldn't blame him, my face is always covered in dirt and my hair hangs in front of my eyes. 

I calmly got off him, hands up, showing that I had no intention of fighting him. He got the hint and stood up as well. But when he tried to make a run for it, I jumped in front of him, startling him a bit. 

"What are you doing?" He finally asked before trying to get past me. I kept my hands up and kept blocking his way. "Get out of my way," He said, remaining as calm as ever. I shook my head and slowly reached my hand out, asking for the papers he was holding. He started playing dumb as if he wasn't holding important documents that could possibly ruin our chances. 

He was really starting to test my patience. 

"What do you want?" He asked as he stared at my hand. I sighed in defeat and said: "The documents. Give me the documents," 

"Yeah. I'm not giving you those," He told me. "I'm trying to be a pacifist and spare your life. Now give me the documents," I said between gritted teeth. "You? A pacifist? Ha! Give me a tea break with some pudding," He spat at me. "You jumped on me not once but twice," 

I exhaled and then tried not to kill him. 

I really tried.

Then I just ended up trying to hit him over the head with the back of my gun. He reacted immediately, hitting the gun out of hand and out of reach, and then tackling me into a choking hold. I realized how little air I was getting in. I really didn't want to use the pity card on him but I was kinda dying. 

"HOLD UP! HOLD UP! BOI, STOP IT! I'M Y/N! YoUr FiAnCéE! LeT gO!" I coughed at him, releasing my inner British accent. He suddenly loosened his grip so I took a big gulp of air as he took a good look at me. The moment he realized who he had been pinning down, he fully let go of me as he widened his eyes and back away. 

He was in shock and didn't really know what to do. Now he finally knew why I would not directly look at him. That whenever we were head to head on a battlefield, I would never attack him. He finally understood. He gritted his teeth like he wanted to say something but couldn't get it out. 

"Gene, I-" "Here," He cut me off and handed me the documents as I got up. I took a look at them. "Why would you-" "I won't tell a soul. But after the war, regardless of how it ends, you're coming with me back to England, understood?" He said, pointing at me. "... I don't want-" "Understood?" He repeated a bit weaker. "..." I stared at him but eventually nodded. He then turned around and walked away in a bit of a daze.

I clenched the papers in my hand as the ground beneath me started to crumble. "Ugh, stupid," I mumbled to myself as tears began welling up. Some dark specs came into my vision and I felt like I was almost going to fall and hit my head somewhere before I heard a loud yell behind me:

"You dirty Brit!" 

I snapped back into reality and turned around to see John, bleeding and wounded. My eyes widened as I rushed over to him to help him and get him to his tent, but he stepped away as I approached. "How could you let that recoat escape?! You could've easily killed him!" He shouted at me. "John, I need you to understand that-" "No! No, I will not understand! You shoot every Brit in your sight but when it comes to that exact soldier, you never even move! Don't you think I began noticing after a few battles? This is war! I don't care if he was your friend or something like that!" John yelled and lectured me as I began clenching the papers in my hand. 

"You wouldn't understand," I mumbled. He was mentally AND physically looking down at me. I scoffed in annoyance. "I'll make sure Washington knows what you did," John said as I started walking away from him. "Do it!" I yelled, turning around to face him. 

"See if I care!" I shouted before storming off.