*Chapter 22: A winter's ball (part 1)*

14th of January 1780

The main problem remained.

I had to accompany Washington together with Alexander as Robin. I fail to understand why I didn't rebel a bit. However, Charles and I thought of a brilliant plan. The plan goes as follows:

Washington, Alexander, and I go to the party at around 5 pm. We'll chit chat for a good 3 to 4 hours and so I accompany them until 8-9 pm. Then Charles will accidentally spill some red wine over my white chemise. Washington knows this is my last clean chemise and acknowledges that a fight will break out. I pick a tiny fight with Charles, Washington will drag me away from him, and will ask me to leave. After I go outside, I'll climb inside via a tree and enter a guest room where Charles will have put my dress. I clean up, climb out the window, and enter as Y/N.

Boom.

We got some back-up plans in case everything goes wrong. As I thought about them, I looked into the mirror checking if everything was in order. My chest seemed flat, my face looked rough, and my hair was tied up. I looked like a man. A man with some girly features you couldn't notice unless you really stared at my face.

"Robin Scalewinds," I said to the mirror. "Nice to meet you, sir" I continued practicing what I was going to say to all those important people. But just saying 'nice to meet you' didn't feel right. What about: "Robin Scalewinds, your obedient servant, sir," I said, sticking my hand out to my own reflection. The sentence made me frown a bit. I heard Alexander say it a few times and he sounded very put together. When I said it, it sounded like I was an unsure snowflake. 

"Robin Scalewinds, a British trashcan, sir," I groaned and rubbed my temples. As I averted my eyes back to the mirror, I saw another figure in it. "Use that last one. It's the most fitting," I rolled my eyes. "John," I said, acknowledging his presence. "Why is it," He started as he looked at me. "That I can irritate you so quickly. When the others do it, you just brush it off," He said.

I raised my nose and glared at him before noticing that my cheeks felt a bit warm. As we stared at each other, I saw his eyes narrow a bit as if he was inspecting my face. At that moment, I felt very unsafe and pushed him out of the way to go to Washington's tent.

When I entered, Alexander and the general were inside and talking about something but stopped when I entered. I raised my eyebrow at the sudden silence but Washington cleared my suspicion immediately. "Ah, Robin, we were just talking about you," He said and turned to me. I smiled 'not creepy at all'

"So, what were the rules I asked you to memorize?" Washington asked to which I groaned. "Do I have to?" I grunted to which he gave me a blank stare. I rolled my eyes and said: "Don't yell, don't insult, try to keep an open mind and don't pick a fight," I said. "And?" Washington asked with a raised eyebrow. With a sigh, I stated:

"And don't call the other generals f*ck bois when they insult Washington,"

Washington looked pleased as he grabbed his back before looking at the both of us. "Let's go," He said and walked out of the tent. Before I could follow, Alexander stopped me. "When did you call another general a f*ck boi?" He asked with a snicker. 

"Oh, my god. Shut up," I groaned, pushing past him. He followed close behind, laughing like an idiot. This continued until we reached the mansion of Philip Schuyler. When we arrived, I exhaled and kept repeating the plan over and over as I clenched my bag where I had the dress folded in. I cracked a smile and walked inside.

Many soldiers passed me as I entered. Some of them were already getting ready to swoon a girl. The sigh of it made me want to roll my eyes but I couldn't help but smile at the sight. After I entered the main hall, I saw Alexander wave at me to come over to him. He probably wanted me to meet the other generals. We walked towards Washington who then motioned to the man in front of us.