Quake Hits Japan 2011

Quake Hits Japan

The worst earthquake in Japanese history has recently hit Japan. In the past Japan has been hit by many earthquakes but this one is by far the worst measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale when the average reading is 4.2. Japan has been left devastated after the quake hit on March 11th 2011 and it all started with the tsunami that struck earlier causing the earthquake to start.

There is very little supplies left and little food is being exported because of the known risk of radioactive poisoning after nuclear power plant, Fukushima Diichi, announced that the reactor building have suffered serious explosions and is now letting off radioactive gas that is damaging the health of the people around it. The workers are trying to cool down the reactor towers by flying over them and dropping seawater.

The radioactive poison that has been found in some Japanese foods and the exportation of these foods have been stopped in places like Asia and many parts of Europe and the United States of America.

The weather has been unpleasant to co-inside with the disaster that struck. Temperatures soaring as low as -5C (23F.) This raises concerns over how people will cope with the icy strain when blankets and heaters are in short supply. A thick coating of snow has covered the ground, leaving the roads treacherous and hard to drive on. Fuel is in demand with queues stretching over half a mile long and all people are on a strict 20-litre ration on petrol.         

Many houses were swept away but the remaining buildings shook to the ground. People are living in rescue shelters but most are still worrying about family that they haven’t been able to contact and are desperately worried. There is an estimate of 18,000 found dead or missing but with many still unaccounted for that number could rise.