Top Ten-July 2012

My Songs of the Month

It’s official! My list of top ten singles that have been the soundtrack of June, 2012 is here and bursting with fresh and legendary musicians. New or old they are all here in one list.

Top 10

1. M.I.A by Avenged Sevenfold

With September only a matter of months away, people are remembering the brave men and women who lost their lives in the 9/11 tragedy. Avenged Sevenfold have dedicated this song on many occasions to the people who died in the building and those who fought to protect America (NYPD, firemen, paramedics etc.) and sadly passed away in the disaster too, M.I.A is easily the best tribute. 

2. I Want You by Joan Jett And The Blackhearts

Loud, proud and angry. The first lady of rock n’ roll really knows how to write her fair share of anthems with ‘I Want You’ being one of her all time greatest. Joan Jett has paved the way for women in the music industry and she should never be forgotten because her music will never be dismissed.

3. O’Star by Paramore

A frankly underestimated song from one of the biggest bands at the moment. Taken from Paramores single Emergency, with verses so slow you can sway to them and choruses you can belt out standing on top of a bar, O’Star is a keeper.

4. Broken, Beat & Scarred by Metallica

Metal at it’s finest. If you haven’t yet listened to Metallica (do you live under a rock, they’ve been around for over thirty years!) then this is the song that’ll get you head banging to the most legendary band on Earth. Don’t forget to check out their classics though.

5.  Never Wanted To Dance by Mindless Self Indulgence

The catchiest song I own at the moment, this track is forever on repeat and I can’t get enough of it. If you’re holding a party and you don’t mind the swearing then this song should be played for all the kids on the dance floor.

6. Talking In Whispers by Rise To Remain

My favourite single from Rise To Remains album, City of Vultures, with meaningful lyrics and a sick solo you can’t go wrong with purchasing this song but then again, I could say the same for the entire album. 

7. Party Wounds by Rolo Tomassi

Female screamo? Yes, Eva Spence can scream like a dude and she can sing high notes. Rolo have gotten raving reviews from Kerrang! magazine not only about this single but also their live performing skills. Don’t miss out on this hard-core experience.

8. The Reckless And The Brave by All Time Low

All Time Low seem to be returning to us with this single sounding a hell of a lot more like their original albums compared to Dirty Works. Although that album was alright, the best and most memorable material was written in the Jasey Rae days, will we get back the old All Time Low or are we stuck with a Dirty Works Part 2?

9. Up All Night by Blink 182

A surprising track, full of energy but you would expect that from Blink, wouldn’t you! This number is unexplainable, it sounds like your average punk song but the twist Blink 182 put on it sends it into total musical brilliance. A personal favourite from their new releases.

10. Dear Mr. President by P!nk

I bet you never expected to see P!nks name turn up on this chart but this heartfelt song really puts my own opinions into words. It was written around the time the US went to war (P!nk once called it “an open letter to the President of the United States, George W. Bush”) and it also covers topics such as homelessness, going to war, politics, women rights and gay rights. This song is a true tear jerker!