Chapter One

⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️
i just want to warn you guys that this book was written like 7 years ago when i was a MINOR 🤩🤩🤩🤩 so that will explain lack of smut and all the cringe parts. i'll edit it someday, or just straight up rewrite it. idk when. lolz. i personally think this is better than Loving The Mafia but its still CRINGE sometimes.

If you're still here after all that, let's begin! 😼😼

Peyton James

I took off running out of my apartment, stopping at the elevator before clicking the button rapidly. As always, it took more than thirty seconds. But I wasn't even patient enough to wait. I swiveled around the corner and went down the stairs, skipping three at a time.

Josh opened his door and joined my run. Joshua Knightly has been my best friend ever since we moved in at the exact same time. I loved that cutely-freckled weirdo. Knowing each other seven years, we were pretty close. And when we went out, people would say we were a cute couple. We'd tell them we weren't dating, or we'd dramatically pretend to be one. We did really act like it sometimes, though. He'd be all cuddly to me and he'd kiss me on my cheek or head. And he called me 'babe' all the time. But I knew he wasn't into me like that. His catchphrase was 'that's why you're my best friend'.

And either way, I'm going on a strict one-night-stands-only diet. Another heartbreak is the last thing I need.

"Monte L?" Josh said in a questioning tone.

"Duh!" I said as we reached the lobby. George looked up at me and lit up, his eyes sparkling to match his bright smile. George Webber was the lessor of New City Apartments in Manhattan, New York. We were good friends, as I've been living here since I was 16.

"George, did you open it without me?" We stopped at the front desk, panting.

"Of course not. I just have a good feeling today."

"You have a good feeling everyday." I rolled my eyes with a giggle. "Plus, I don't even have experience in real architecture. I probably won't--"

Josh wrapped an arm around me and put his hand over my mouth. "Shut up with your negativity and open the damn thing, Peyton!" Josh was always positive when I was negative.

I slid my nail under the small flap and opened the envelope, then he uncovered my mouth. "Dear Ms. Peyton James...blah blah." I trailed, skipping every piece of information except the information I wanted. I read five little words and I swear I died for a second.

"Did you get the job?"

"Uh, y-yeah? I'm a PA." I tilted my head in confusion and Josh looked past shocked. "You're gonna be that guy's personal assistant?! Do you know how much that pays?!" Josh scoffed in disbelief. Josh and I were fresh out of college, so we were on the verge of being broke, paying off student loans.

"It says 20 an hour, bonuses are up to 1,000, overtime is 35/hour, and 2,000 dollars of profit sharing every two months!" I read, but paused for thought. "Wait--which guy? 'Cause there are a lot of important guys that work there."

"According to the information you skipped over, you're PA for Mr. Lucian Montenegro. CEO." George said after moving from his seat behind the front desk to stand next to me, reading over my shoulder. "You start next Monday."