76: Calm Before

With Nia, Duran and Imhe busy creating the Palace map Lea desired, the rest of the work was left on how to efficiently gather the most important piece in liberating Sabio. Kiel informed Lea of what he was able to gather, which was not too far from what she learnt upon her journey to the city. She also learnt her brother's life in Sabrina, and how his current step-father is missing. To show her compassion, she made sure her brother was focused and well-attended.

"I never lose hope when you suddenly left me, Brother. So you shouldn't either." Her ruby eyes looked into his', he felt himself relish that he was not alone. But anxiousness and dread remained in a corner of his mind. To her words, he showed an amicable smile.

His beloved sister finally back beside him, he was the happiest man. Although not quite. Over the past few days of sticking with his sister, he realized there were several pests that would look on her with the same eyes he does. If he was friendly to those who he deemed fine, it was no longer applicable when it concerned his sister.

"Why not remain in my place, Sister? I've got better sanitation at my place."

"No."

He sighed to her usual definite refusals. The clues to the reason why was already bared as he entered the dilapidated hostel. Since young, he noticed Lea growing more and more strange with her interest. She would collect different sorts of Survival Books with realistic images of gore. He felt strange, but since he loved her dearly, he helped with her collection from time to time. He would ask his friends or coworkers, leading up to the rumors of him being a psychotic killer. Due to that, he was fired from work and was left to rely on his few trusted friends.

With a sigh, he looked on to his beloved sister once again who seemed focus on a book. "What are you reading?" His arm was around her neck, but she did not seem to mind.

Unperturbed, she replied. "Eye colors."

Curious, he peeked on the page she was reading only to see drawings of eyeballs with intricate details. He felt his stomach turn. ".............So.... What does it say...?"

Closing the book gently in her hands, she removed his arms around her neck. Then she begun as she sat straight, "Eye colors vary depending on what category the being is born from. A beast for example would usually have golden eyes, while beings highly compatible with essences usually have red irises.

"But this book is no good."

Her statement made Kiel glance at the book she was holding on her lap. His brow raised, he asked curiously, "Why?"

"It's not scientific."

"Pfft!" 

Surprised at his reaction, Lea's ruby eyes widened. "........"

In between his suppressed chuckles, he noticed he was being rude to his beloved sister, "I'm sorry, Sister." which earned him her nod. "It's just that, there is no logic to this world."

"............" At his words, Lea put away the book she was trying to finish.

"Oh, but that doesn't mean you should stop learning anything about this world." He said with a smile.

"Hm..." And grabbed for the book once again. She flipped it open and continued where she left off. "It is written here that Sabrina, the goddess, had green irises. While her sister, Ingrid, had black irises. And that only those with green irises held superiority. This book is bias, Brother. Can I throw it away?"

Amused by his sister's reaction, Kiel stroked her head. "Books shouldn't be treated with disrespect, Sister."

"You did remind me that."