126: Behind the waterfall

The walk in the jungle became relatively easy with Victor around. He was barely exhausted because the essences grew in abundance after their initial exposure, and essences were what Victor lived by. Without them, he would not be able to breath with ease.

"Does Victor know whether Spirits can survive without essences?" This sudden question from Lea caught Victor off-guard, but he recovered himself pretty quickly.

"Father said they are interlinked. Spirits and high beasts share commonalities. One of these are their dependence to essences. I vaguely remember him repeatedly telling me that if the Guardians were our Gods or creators, then essences would be their 'grace' upon us."

Listening to the usual tone of his voice, Lea grew solemn. "I'm sorry for making you remember your father..."

Victor shook his head and looked at Lea carefully, staring into her eyes with calm and a little smile on his handsome face. "Remembering him is not painful. I just regret I could not meet him as soon as possible."

All of the sudden, Lea stopped on her tracks, realizing a crucial point of Victor's existence being by her side. Her ruby eyes grew soft and much clearer than before when looking at him, as if a clarification revealed itself.

"You followed me for your father. You hid pretty deeply."

"Not only that." Victor shook his head, but he no longer said anything.

It was rare for Victor to talk so much, but he also abruptly stops when he felt like it. At this point, everyone was already used by this. But Bright and Yun Na were left unaware that the other pair's conversation continued inside their head.

[So what else were they? Wanting to see the world? You looked pretty eager to leave your home.]

Being nudged secretly by Lea mentally, Victor easily resigned himself to honesty. [You caught my attention because you obviously did not know about essences, but you were attracting a lot of them... I think I made the right choice to follow you.]

He was obviously referring to being able to gain his human form, and growing stronger thanks to Lea's influence. With an essence furnace like Lea around, Victor's beastly form evolved to more than that of a legendary.

[Ah. You reminded me. I'm growing tired of running around. Maybe its time to settle down.]

Victor's chest seemed to have been hammered as his eyes grew wide staring at Lea in disbelief. Catching a glimpse of his thoughts, Lea was almost scared to her wits. She hurriedly denied his conclusions.

[Not getting a partner and multiply! Just setting up a base to govern. I think it's about time.]

Hanging his head a bit lower, Victor did not agree nor disagree with Lea's idea. She raised a brow but said nothing more. She could not understand why he was depressed all of the sudden.

--------

They eventually arrived at a circular pool with a waterfall. Nill was hovering in front of the waterfall when she felt her youngest sister nearby alongside Lea and Victor's presences. 

Right away, she went inside Lea's inner core, informing her of the findings.

[Lea, I do not understands what's behind the waterfall, but it looks complicated. I feel the flow of a dead element, not totally foreign that keeps everything inside alive. I tried to trace the flow as much as possible, but the whole thing is just too huge and complicated for me. I've never seen anything like it!]

Not even a few seconds after Nill finished her diligent report, Lea completed a set of theories. And the likely probability of what Nill found was electricity.

Teleporting inside might cause chaos, for security should be expected to be tight. While boldly entering through the waterfall might alert the higher ups.

For a minute, Lea did not say anything, but when she spoke, everyone was stunned.

"Behind the waterfall is most likely a Control Room, but I lack knowledge of their security especially when essences couldn't easily reach beyond the wall of water. Bright and Yun Na, I want you to hide behind a thick foliage. Bright, do your best to send me a signal here when you see anyone coming from the sky and the ground." She pointed onto her head, and Bright understood her meaning right away. He still remembered how to talk to Lea mentally.

[Lea, testing. Do you like pork or chicken more?]

[Beast meat.]

[...I'm sorry this husband is incompetent at catching beast... I will do better. I will do better, so don't leave me wife!]

[...We're not-- ... Nevermind.] She looked seriously at Bright's mischievous eyes and sighed. "Please, don't kill yourself off. At least wait for me and Victor."

Bright smiled even brighter at Lea's obvious care. His blue eyes were livelier than before as his handsome features became more profound with happiness.

"I'll be sure not die." He said seriously, and Lea felt more reassured.

She then left with Victor into the cave like shadows, their speed very fast for normal people. Lea found she was right, inside, security was extremely tight.