Chapter 11: The Chunin Exam (2)

-Sakura POV-

"Sakura, listen up. To a medical ninja, attack power is only the second most important thing to have. Do you know why?"

"Hai! Medical ninja are supposed to support the team. Rather than attack, they should support their comrades in battle, so I believe their ability to heal comes first." I recited from my memory straight away, wondering why Yukina-sensei would ask such a simple question.

"Although I am happy that you gave me the standard textbook answer, but that's wrong. The most important thing for a medical ninja is to dodge the enemy's attack," she said, answering my unasked question.

"The ability to dodge?" I questioned, not understanding what she just said. How could the ability to dodge be the most important factor for a medical ninja?

"Yes, the ability to dodge. Medical ninja must never get hit by the enemy!"

"Why is that?"

Yukina-sensei sighed loudly. Both boys who came with her just now looked at her with interest, also wanting to know the answer. "Who's gonna heal the rest of the team if the medical ninja dies?" My mouth dropped open slightly, and the boys seemed shocked too. "Listen up, Sakura. There will only be one medical ninja in each team. If the medical ninja gets injured, the whole team is doomed. That's why the ability to dodge the enemy's attack is the most important thing for a medical ninja. You can forget all the crap written in the textbook now, we're living in a cruel world."

After a while she started talking again. "Now I'm going to attack you, for real. Don't worry, I'll use taijutsu only for now. You'll practice avoiding all of my attacks. I won't hold back! Are you ready? Oh before I forget. Gaara, you might want to get on your sand with Naruto. I don't wanna risk hurting you by accident."

"Hai!" All three of us answered her, and I prepared myself for her attack, both physically and mentally, while Gaara opened his gourd and got on the sand with Naruto.

"Here I come!" Yukina-sensei said and jumped, raising her left leg. I retreated backwards hastily as she hit the ground in front of me, and the surrounding earth shattered like an earthquake. I then closed my eyes as an instinct to avoid the dust from going into my eyes, and she took that chance to attack me.

"Don't close your eyes!" Yukina-sensei shouted and hit me squarely on my stomach, and I can feel that she used only brute force. I flew backwards and hit a large tree, and fell on the ground. The tree broke after my contact, and I grunted, holding on to my stomach. "Why the hell will you close your eyes when the enemy's right in front of you?!" I then struggled to get up, but the furthest I got to was kneeling.

"Watch the enemy's movements closely. Watch them before the attack, during the attack and after the attack! Don't let a single moment escape your eyes! If you're any kind of shinobi, you would have heard about this. People always have a dominant hand and leg, as well as individual ticks and habits. Which, when combined, reveal patterns in their movement. When someone becomes a Jonin or a Chunin, they train in order to lessen those habits, so the enemy can't read their movements, but they can't be eliminated completely. At times you should be able to use them and see the enemy's weak spots." Yukina-sensei then started her lecture.

"The enemy's weak spots?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes, the enemy's weak spots! Find them as quickly as possible! It'll improve your ability to dodge their attacks. Oh and my dominant hand and leg are both right, and I used my left leg, which is less powerful, to attack just now." She smirked as she saw my horrified expression. "Mah, my abilities are nothing as compared to Tsunade-san's, so you don't have to be so surprised. Speaking of this, we need to look for her soon.. I'll think about that later. Sakura! I'm coming!" Then I spent the next hour dodging her attacks. I barely dodged her attacks for the first half an hour, but then I slowly got the hang of dodging afterwards.