6. Ponchos, sombreros, and a change of heart

Pov: Vic.

As I took slow steps down the deserted hallway of my home, my earphones dug deep into my ears, I listened to the beautiful melodies of the music that had been playing from my outdated mp3 player. Although, I wasn't concentrating on the lyrics as much as the thoughts that were running through my mind. It was around 5 o'clock in the morning, the only time I had to myself, really. And the only time I could think, in peace, without being disrupted by a nagging mother or a whining little brother. Even though our family was small, the house always seemed to be in absolute chaos. 

The only thing that was going through my mind was Kellin. Kellin was the person who'd been going through my mind for a while now, but now, I just couldn't stop thinking about him. I don't know why, but yesterday when we'd bumped into each other, I thought... He'd started to actually change his douchey ways. I mean, even though he was being his usual rude, cocky self, he was still talking to me, and, well, that's a good thing... Right? Maybe he's lightening up to me, maybe he'll take it easy on me today. 

I was hopeful, until I remembered how drastically his attitude changed once his friends had arrived. 

"Come on guys, let's not waste our time with him. He's just a fag, after all. A fag who has a crush on me, hah! I mean, I don't know about you guys, but I sure don't want to hit him knowing I'll probably get his gay germs all over my skin."

Being bullied was practically my life. I was more than used to it, by now. But there are some times when the things people say really get to me, and I feel as if someone's slamming a hard rock into my chest, and laughing as they see the crimson blood leak out of it. 

That was definitely one of those times. 

I walked around the house aimlessly, until I came to the kitchen. Taking slow steps towards the window, I set my eyes upon the very few stars that were shining brightly in the dark sky. That dark sky would soon transform into a light one, meaning only one thing; School time, and oh, what a dreadful time that was.

The hours passed quickly, much too quickly if you ask me, and before I knew it, 7AM just came rollin' on by. I heard soft creaking sounds from above me, signalling to me that Mike had gotten out of bed and headed to the bathroom where he would spend two million years prepping himself up. Sometimes, I swear, he was born a girl. 

Pretty soon, my entire family was seated at the breakfast table, obviously, eating breakfast — which consisted today of Chilaquiles. I didn't end up finishing mine, I never did. Unlike Mike and papa, their meals were often finished in the blink of an eyelid. Mama told me I just had a small appetite, like her, but I knew the real reason why.

I knew I wasn't big or fat in any way, shape, of form. I wasn't exactly what people would consider anorexic. But practically ever since I'd started high school, people made me feel insignificant. So much that I didn't even feel like I deserved the luxury of food anymore. I know that might sound stupid, but it's true. I've been stepped on, kicked, yelled at for absolutely no reason, you name it — I've had it done to me. Why? That's a question I've been trying to answer for a while now, and the only one I could think of, was this.

It's because I'm worthless, and somehow, deserve the things that happen to me. People treat me like a punching bag, so why not treat myself like one as well? It's not like it'll cause any more damage, because honestly, all the damage had already been done.