024⸰

dear mom and dad,

i'm leaving and not coming back so don't look for me. i can't live under your rules anymore. i'm not happy, i never was but now that i'm leaving i can become my own person.

the person i truly am. thank you for giving me the lavish life but it wasn't everything i wanted. i rather be poor and happy than rich and sad. there's so much more i want to say but it's best i don't. this is our final goodbye.

jaehyun placed the neatly folded letter on his parent's bed then met up with taeyong at the bottom of the staircase who waited with the luggage.

"where exactly are we going?" taeyong asked while jaehyun took one final overview of the place he resided in for all the years of his life. the home that never truly felt like a home.

"right now we'll be going to taeil's to drop off our luggage. that's where we'll be staying for the time being." he ushered taeyong outside towards the back where the two previously escaped the day before.

"i never got to have you give me a tour of the garden." jaehyun stopped in his tracks.

"this garden? trust me when i say there are prettier gardens. i'll take you to one of my favorites one of these days."

the cab jaehyun ordered pulled up to the back gates, where no guards were currently patrolling. with swift movements, jaehyun set the luggage in the trunk and climbed into the back seat followed by taeyong.

"this is the address." the driver punched in the location and soon took off down the road. jaehyun sat back in awe and disbelief, at himself. he actually had the courage to run away. even better, he had taeyong by his side.

the two shared looks, both understanding the adrenaline rush through their veins. "you said to a new chapter earlier... do you know how many times we've tried?"

taeyong chuckled. "yeah but this time, it'll actually happen."

...

when taeil opened his door he had only expected jaehyun but to his surprise, taeyong was right alongside him, two suitcases in his hands. "uhm, hi?"

"hi taeil." he opened the door wider so they could enter. once inside he shut the door behind him and turned to jaehyun who had the biggest smile on his face.

"can i have a word with you jae?"

"sure." taeyong sat awkwardly on the couch. he strained his ears to hear in on the hushed conversation going on just a few feet away from him.

"why is taeyong with you? i know you said you were running away but–?"

"he came along with me. it's a long story taeil and i promise we'll tell you but just not now."

taeil raised a suspicious eyebrow. "you two aren't dating right?" jaehyun's ears went red.

"no. we aren't. i promise."

"okay then..." taeil and jaehyun returned causing taeyong to hop up from the couch. "i only have one spare bedroom so you and jaehyun have to share a bed."

this brought back memories of taeyong's first time entering jaehyun's room, where the younger demanded he sleep in his bed when there were tons of other free ones in the mansion.

"that's fine." taeil nodded and lead them past the staircase to the room farthest back. the semi-long hallway contained a table that held a vase filled with lilacs and walls with picture frames.