Epilogue

Five Years Later

"Rhett!" I call, pacing around our apartment, hand on my swollen stomach. "It's time!"

Rhett comes running around the corner, catching himself against the wall. "Time, time?"

I shake my head, laughing nervously. "Not that time. The call is coming in the next two minutes."

Today marks five years they told me I was cancer free. I made it five years without another relapse, without another blast of cells forming. Every test held that bit of anxiety for all of us that, that, bad news could come once again. Every six months I cried the tears of joy when my doctor said I was still perfectly healthy. When I got my results back in November, we received a different kind of joyful tears; I was six weeks pregnant.

It was a risk, one that my doctor highly discouraged we continue, but we decided that we couldn't lose it. It was a miracle I was even able to conceive, so that was our sign to keep the baby. I've gone in for even more blood work, had lots of observations, and been put on restrictions for excessive exercise and my diet. It's been a long struggle the last six months, but every appointment has been filled with only good news of our growing baby's health.

Rhett's determined our boy is going to play baseball just like him. His career has taken off. After spending two years pitching for the Houston Astros, he was traded to his dream team of the Los Angeles Angels. It's been hard being away from my family, but being able to continue living out his dream and being able to call him mine makes it all worth it.

Liam and Nathan didn't go pro after they graduated; Rhett was the only one of the three of them that didn't graduate. Instead, Liam followed our mom's footsteps and teaches Advanced Statistics at Oklahoma State. He found a new love, once he let go of the grudge he held against Grace, and married his dream girl last spring. Nathan stayed in Texas, and is working his ass off in law school to become a Family Lawyer.

I went back to school that summer, after we found out I was healthy, and managed to graduate with a Journalism degree on time with my classmates. It was a moment I'll never forget, being able to walk across that stage, with a full head of hair, and be able to say that I made it. Now, I write the sports column for the Los Angeles Times.   

After that game, when we found out I was cancer free, Rhett and I drove to the children's hospital and reunited with our kids. Turns out, Rhett continued to see them after he found out about my cancer; he went everyday and told the kids I was doing okay and I'd be home soon. That day, I was able to walk into that hospital and give my good news, at the same time they were able to say they made it as well.

My girls are off to college in the fall, as well as one of Rhett's boys Adam. He and Claire are going to San Houston State together, as a couple. Abigail will be going to Texas Tech, because of how much she loved the campus when we gave the kids tours. Amanda is going the furthest to Juliard to peruse the violin. Rhett's two youngest boys are moving up in school and succeeding in their lives much better than anyone imagined. A happy ending for everyone, hopefully, including me.

The shrill ringing of the phone, has me stepping out of Rhett's arms and answering the dreaded call.

"Hello?" I answer, with a shaky breath.

"Good evening, Ms James." My doctor greets. "I have your results back."

"And?" I question, feeling anxious.