Chapter Thirteen

My eyes open, and the realization hits that I'm not alone in my bed. It's five in the morning and Rhett's arm is draped across my body as he is sleeping soundly.

After that time stopping kiss, Rhett and I couldn't say more than a single word to each other. He helped me to stand, and walked me back inside the beach house. We went in my room and laid on top of the bed, just staring at the ceiling. Before we both fell asleep, we made a promise not to tell anyone about the kiss; it was just a one time, in the moment, thing.

Now, I'm laying in his arms, feeling more at home than I ever have. Not wanting to break this moment, I realize we'll have to get up before anyone else wakes up.

"Rhett." I whisper, softly stroking his face. "You need to get up before Liam finds out you slept in here."

His eyes shoot open and he sits up quickly. "What the fuck am I doing here?"

"Relax." I sigh. "We fell asleep, nothing happened."

Rhett seems to relax as he turns to face me. "But we did kiss?"

I nod my head and look down. "We did."

"So how was your first kiss?" He asks, smugly.

Heat rises in my cheeks, and I'm too embarrassed to answer. How do I tell him it was a toe curling, earth shattering, and completely magical kiss, without it seeming like I'm all of a sudden in love with him.

Rhett rolls on top of me, still managing to keep his body off of mine. His lips are inches from mine, and the feeling that I have to kiss him returns. I fight the urge and just stare in his eyes.

"It was that good for me too." He whispers, slowly lowering himself so his lips barely graze mine.

My heart is fluttering in my chest, and I don't know how much longer I can keep my composure together.

"What makes you think it was that good for me?" I ask, hoping he doesn't hear the falter in my voice.

Rhett just chuckles and rolls his eyes. "It's written all over your face, Princess. You want it to happen again."

I turn my face, suddenly feeling overwhelmingly embarrassed at how transparent I am. Rhett's hand finds my chin and gently pulls it, so I am looking at him again. His lips meet mine, but this time they linger instead of graze. My hands wrap around his neck, pulling him closer, trying to still the butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

He slowly pulls away, both of us breathing just as heavy as we were last night. "I wanted it to happen again too."

"I thought we agreed it was a one time thing." I sigh, regretting the words as soon as they spill out of my mouth.

"I know, but I can't help myself." He says, leaning in again. "It's too damn good to stop."

"But we have to." I remind him. "Liam and Nathan could find us in here. There's no way we could explain this, without them flipping out."

Rhett groans and rests his forehead on mine, before standing from the bed and pulling me with him. His lips meet mine with three quick pecks before he begins to turn the doorknob.

"Where does this leave us?" I ask him, fearing his answer.

"You're still my best friend." He says. "I may just want to kiss you every now and then."