Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

I waited all week for Katy to bring up news from her fitting. But news did not come up. And thus I could not inquire about Amanda being there.

I needed to know.

Ashton motioned his hands in front of me, in a sign of prayer, "Savannah... could you honor me by being my official lab partner?"

My eyebrow raised. We had just handed in our first lab of the semester and I had already assumed we'd be partners.

"Sure," I said.

A smile broke onto his face.

"One one condition," I reinstated.

"Anything."

"No more missing classes..."

Ashton was about to interrupt.

".. Only for lab days," I ended.

He smiled again. Wider. Teeth sparkling. His dirty blond curls seemingly to bounce with excitement too.

"Deal."

We shook on it.

I was more relieved than he was.

It meant Cook didn't have a chance to team up with me. Not that he would anymore.

I glanced once at him in class but he wasn't paying any attention to me. Since Monday's math test, the reality of our relationship was plain; a temporary tutorship at best. All hopes of a friendship dissipated. I wanted to hate him for it. I really did. But I can't hate him for giving me what I want. Right? Him out of my life. Some peace of mind.

Lunch time came around and I was annoyed. I wouldn't say that I was silently brooding the last couple of days but now I am openly broody and Katy finally noticed.

"What's wrong Sav?" Katy asked.

I wasn't going to say nothing but I was sure as hell wanting to say everything.

For starters, "I saw you with Amanda on Monday, leaving together. In your car."

Fragments came out. I don't know if it was anger or hurt clouding my speech.

She shrugged, as if 'what do you want me to do about it.'

"Look Sav, I'm sorry. She wanted to tag along so I let her."