13: Adamant

Dorian

He'd lied when he'd told Nathaniel walking away would be harder later. It was already too hard. He'd fallen for him. He was certain it had been after their trip to Redcliff, or possibly before that. He wasn't sure, but he was sure his heart would break if anything happened to him.

Despite his fear for Nathaniel's safety, he wouldn't trade what was happening between them for anything. He'd never known what it felt like to be loved by a man he cared for. It had always been him - falling for someone only to be rejected later. He'd lost count how many times that had happened and after a while had given up. His heart had been encased in ice for so long, he was surprised how easily Nathaniel had melted it.

Clearly he wasn't as insulated from being complimented and appreciated as much as he'd thought, which wasn't comforting. Letting anyone in had become a strategy to protect himself. He knew he loved too easily, fell too quickly for a man with a quick wit and charm to match his own. He hoped it wasn't what was happening now and that Nathaniel would turn out to be different from the others.

Nathaniel

I wasn't looking forward to the battle at Adamant Fortress. So many things could go wrong. What with the Wardens using blood magic, and Erimond with his enhanced abilities from Corypheus, there was no telling how much danger we would be in.

As much as I wanted to protect Dorian by leaving him behind, I couldn't imagine going to Adamant without his comforting presence at my side.

Andraste's ass. I grumbled. What had I done to myself? What had I been thinking? If only I hadn't encouraged him, he'd be blissfully unaware of how I felt. And yet... he deserved to know and I wanted him to know I cared. Anyone loved needed to know. Too many never took the risk and lamented the decision when the moment to do so was gone. Shit. This had become complicated a lot more quickly than I'd anticipated.

Dorian caught my eye as we rode to Adamant. He raised an eyebrow at what he saw in my face, but I just shook my head. No need to burden him with my worries now. I was only making myself crazy. I didn't need to share it.

We arrived at the Fortress in time to see Cullen's forces break down the door and provide us cover to enter. Stroud and Hawke were there and Hawke hurried off to provide Cullen's soldiers with support on the battlements, leaving us to locate Warden-Commander Clarel.

After helping defeat the demons who were overwhelming Cullen's men, we reached the first group of Wardens. After I explained our reason for being there, the warriors stood down and allowed us passage without bloodshed.

"Well that went better than expected." Dorian drawled.

"I had hoped the Warden warriors would see reason." Stroud added. "I am pleased to see I was right."

"Come on." I said. "We need to find Clarel."

Around the next corner, we came face to face with a newly formed rift. Clarel and Erimond stood above the courtyard as Clarel prepared to sacrifice a Warden. I watched in horror as she drew a blade across his throat, my shout of "No!" coming too late to stop her.

"Clarel!" I shouted. "Don't do this! Wardens! I only stand against you because I know you're being used."

"Wardens! The people we have sworn to protect have turned against us!" Clarel cried. "We must proceed so we can save the world from itself!"

"And then Corypheus binds you to him and turns you against us!" Stroud yelled.

"But Corypheus is dead." She murmured, a look of horror on her face. "Perhaps we should learn if there is any truth to these claims." Directing her comment at Erimond.