28: Curses

Nathaniel

After speaking with Morrigan, I'd grabbed a quick meal and headed to my private quarters. I was tired and my talk with her had only served to increase my feelings of despondency. My head told me Dorian could chase the fears away and give me peace, but my heart was too distraught. I was afraid he'd see the fear in my eyes and I knew I was too upset not to fall apart in front of him. I despised myself for being a coward, but hoped he'd be too involved in his research project to notice my absence.

The following morning I woke alone with equal feelings of relief and disappointment. There was no sign of Dorian at breakfast that morning, but one of the servants let me know he'd fallen asleep in the library last night after I asked about him. I thanked her, feeling relief even as I felt shame for thinking it.

When Solas approached me in the hall, insisting he accompany me to the elven ruins, I agreed. If Dorian had spent the night doing research, I didn't want to disturb him just to have him at my side for a bunch of ruins. Besides, they were elven. Solas would have more knowledge of elven history than Dorian would. When Cole and Iron Bull also volunteered, I was too distracted by my cowardly behaviour to protest. It wasn't that I didn't appreciate everyone here, but of all my companions, the only others more irritating than Cole and Solas were Blackwall and Vivienne.

After speaking to Varric about checking on Dorian, we headed out hoping to find answers. Either answers for what Corypheus was up to, or some clue as to what type of magic or magical artifact he'd used to open the breach which had also created my mark.

----xxx----

By the time we solved the puzzle of the elven ruins and defeated the trapped and very powerful demon there, I was thoroughly fed up with all three of my companions.

Cole hadn't stopped making cryptic remarks about every elven rune and alter we discovered. I had no desire to know how the individual in question had come to have his body separated and bound with magic. Whoever it was had been dead a long time, and as far as I was concerned had no bearing on our purpose there.

Then there was Solas, arguing with Bull about the Qun. I had heard it all before and was gritting my teeth over the argument now. One more minute of this and I wouldn't bring them again.

As for Cole and Solas, most of the time I understood what they were talking about which I'm sure would have surprised them both. Usually it was about spirits long dead and choices made eons ago. Yet once in a while, Cole would ask a question to which Solas would answer. No different and no more remarkable than other words, and yet I knew... I knew he was intending a double meaning.

Whether he was doing it on purpose or if he was so involved in his memories I didn't know. But I could hear those words as though he were talking about himself. When he made the comment about having different faces, one to show the world and one to hide, I very nearly gave away my understanding of it by turning to stare at him. I froze in my act of turning and instead feigned a stumble to cover what I'd been about to do. But I had been quick to react and I was certain no one noticed.

I had heard so many of these kinds of double entendres that after a while I'd stopped paying attention. Yet this time, my mind whirled, taking this piece and that and fitting them together. It reminded me of my earlier suspicions of how he'd joined the Inquisition. Which then made me wonder how I'd forgotten to keep an eye on him.

Maker's breath, I muttered to myself as we headed back to Skyhold. What did this mean? Why was I suddenly uncomfortable with Solas trailing behind me? I resisted the urge to shudder at the bizarre sensation and prodded them to move faster, feigning a tiredness I didn't feel.

----xxx----

Back in Skyhold I let the stable boy take my mount. It earned me a puzzled look, but I just shrugged and headed for the castle. Normally, I would have followed, taking a moment to check in with Blackwall and Master Dennit. But I was consumed with the sudden irrational fear that Dorian was gone. That because I'd left him behind and hadn't sought his company the night before, he'd left in a fit of pique back to Tevinter.