46: Champion

Hawke

"What are we doing here Hawke?" Fenris grumbled.

"You've seen the tear in the sky Fenris?" She teased.

"What about it? The Inquisition is more than capable of dealing with that. I thought we were returning to Kirkwall."

Kirah sighed. "I told you. I heard from Merrill. She wanted my help with something."

Fenris frowned harder. "The last time she asked for your help, you met in secret with Morrigan to get rid of the Eluvian and cure the abomination."

Kirah winced. He'd forgiven her for her secrecy regarding Anders, but she knew he didn't trust Morrigan.

"Fenris."

"I'm sorry Hawke. I didn't mean for that to sound accusatory."

She smiled, slipping her hand into his and gave it a squeeze. "I know you didn't. But Varric had already told me about the attack on the Inquisition. Merrill didn't say why she came to Skyhold and she doesn't ask for help lightly."

Fenris sighed as they passed under the portcullis of Skyhold and into the courtyard. It turned to a frown when their appearance drew more than a few stares from those who saw them.

"I know Hawke, it's just that you've done enough already. I don't want you in more danger. It's time you left that behind and lived for yourself."

"Which is why I wasn't planning to stay long." She said, coming to a halt and turning to face him. "But there's a few things I need to tell you before we see Varric."

"I don't like the sound of this."

Kirah sighed. "Morrigan is here."

"What?! Why didn't you tell me before we arrived?"

"I didn't know for sure Fenris. Merrill never mentioned it and neither did Varric. I heard it from the barmaid in that tavern we stopped at earlier."

"And you didn't think to tell me then?"

"I wasn't sure I should believe her. But then I heard more people talking as we passed those traders on the road. I thought you might have heard them yourself.'

"If it's true, what is she doing here?"

"I don't know." Kirah admitted. "But there's more."

"I'm not going to like this am I?"

"The Inquisitor's companion. Dorian? He's from Tevinter."

"Kaffas Hawke! A magister is part of the Inquisition and you said nothing? I can't believe you kept this from me."

"He's not a magister Fenris, only a mage. He left everything behind to join the Inquisition."

"You expect me to believe that?"

"I would never lie to you Fenris. You know that."

Hearing her tone, the tension drained from him. "No you wouldn't. I'm sorry Hawke, I didn't mean to accuse you. But what does this Dorian have to do with anything? I thought we were here to see Merrill and Varric?"

Kirah sighed and told him what had been happening to Dorian and the Inquisitor and the final attack on Skyhold itself.

"Kaffas." Fenris swore. "Why is the mage a target? Did Varric have any idea?"

She shook her head. "No one seems to know, though they suspected one of their own - an elven apostate who joined the Inquisition shortly after the Temple of Sacred Ashes was destroyed."