Umbrella to the Face

I sat quietly in the passenger's seat of my car as Jacob drove, fully concentrating on the road. Things had been a little strained between us since I had blown up at him, even though he knew I didn't mean it. We had been renting rooms with two beds and there was barely any conversation between us. It was usually just silence like now, which usually didn't bother me too much. It gave me time to think, though that wasn't always a good thing.

Feeling the urge to end the silence but to not be cut off from the world, I pulled out my Mp3 and took the headphones out, before plugging the car tape into it. After putting the cord in, I put the tape in and pressed the play button. I bit my lower lip as Our Song by Taylor Swift filled the car, before I started singing along.

I was riding shotgun

With my hair undone

In the front seat of his car

He's got a one-hand feel on the

steering wheel

The other on my heart

I look around

Turn the radio down

He says, "Baby, is somethin' wrong?"

I say, "Nothin'

I was just thinkin'

How we don't have a song..."

And he says

As the chorus began, I caught Jacob's expression in the corner of my eye and looked over to see him staring at me in shock.

"What?" I asked as I turned the music down some.

"Nothing, You told me you only listen to Rock musuc and I just didn't expect you to be singing something so...cheery." Jacob shrugged as he turned his attention back to the road. I just nodded as I picked my Mp3 back up and scrolled down my song list. Finding the song I wanted, I pressed play and listened as Over It by Katherine McPhee began playing and I sung along, directly singing the lyrics to Jacob.

I'm over your lies,

and I'm over your games.

I'm over you asking me,

when you know I'm not okay.

You call me at night,

and I pick up the phone.

And though you've been telling me,

I know you're not alone.

oh..

As the words started to sink in, Jacob look over at me and sighed sadly, before hanging his head for a second.

"I can't f**king win with you." He mumbled as he returned his attention to the road again.

This made me feel a bit guilty and I scrolled down my song list again, before selecting the option to shuffle my songs. A small smile spread over my lips as Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple started playing and it grew even bigger as I glanced over and saw the corners of Jacob's lips curling up as he strummed to the beat of the song on the steering wheel. I sat back with a feeling of satisfaction racing through my body and looked out the window, strumming my fingers on my knee to the beat as well.

I stood behind Jacob and waited patiently as he unlocked our room. As the door swung open and he walked in, I looked around before entering the hotel room as well. As Jacob went over to the bed closest to the door, I closed the door and headed for the other bed. Setting my bag down on the foot of the bed, I looked around as I slipped my jacket off. A soft sigh escaped my lips as I watched Jacob skirt around me as he unpacked, pretty much ignoring my presence all together.