Chapter 22

I hate alarms.

I hate them with a vengeance.

I hate them even more so when the one of my phone goes off seconds after the alarm clock one goes off.

I turn them both off and groan loudly as I drag myself out of bed and into my en-suite bathroom. I shower quickly, leaving my hair unwashed as I washed it yesterday, and get dressed in a simple outfit of a nude coloured pencil skirt with white blouse and matching longline cardigan.

I walk to the kitchen, dropping my shoes down on the floor near the front door as I go.

"Happy Monday morning, to you." Allison chimes as soon as I step into the kitchen.

I narrow my eyes at her as she moves around making breakfast. The radio is playing in the background and I eye the plate on the worktop with a couple of slices of toast and jam on it and two cups sitting close by near the kettle.

When I got home last night, Allison was still in the spare bedroom with her music playing. I even knocked on the door to tell her I was home but there was no response. It was like she didn't care that I was back and now she's all happy and acting like the fight never happened.

I can't put my finger on it.

It's strange.

"Eh, good morning."

I pick up a slice of toast and jam from the plate on the worktop and take a bite.

"I'm about to put a washing on if you have anything that needs washed."

I swallow the contents that are in my mouth. "I can't remember. Maybe."

"I'll go and check the basket in your bathroom." She wipes her hands on the tea towel and walks out the kitchen.

I watch her go then shake my head. I busy myself with making a cup of coffee and before I know it, Allison is back with an arm full of clothes to be washed. She puts them in the washing machine and turns it on.

"I've got a few of my things in the machine, too. I can just leave them here with the rest of my stuff I brought. I've got quite a lot of stuff at Greg's."

"Alright."

I take a sip of coffee and continue to eat in peace while leaning back against the worktop.

"Everything okay with you?"

I look at her over the rim of my cup. I blink a few times and she shrugs. "No, actually." I place my cup down. "Did something happen between yesterday when I left and this morning? You're acting like we didn't get into an argument."

She takes a deep breath and nods. "Fine."

I wait for her to go on, a part of me desperate to know what's happened while I was out.

"After you left yesterday, Luca came back to see me." She professes.

If I wasn't leaning against something, there's no doubt in my mind that I would have fallen in shock. The thought of Allison giving Luca the time of day to hear him out has me wishing I was there to witness it with a bucket of popcorn. The language used from both parties wouldn't be a straight match. Allison would have been shouting and insulting Luca from the start, whereas Luca would just take most of it before giving back as good as he gets.

She's gotten my full attention now.

I'm intrigued.

"We had an informative chat," she simply says. "He explained his side of things and I told him everything from your side but from my point of view."