Chapter 30

I work my ass of all day at work and it's mainly because I don't want my mind to go to the conversation I'll be having with my parents when I see them later. When I'm not doing something, my mind has a conversation being mocked up as to how I would like things to happen. Everyone is happy and I leave there facing no issues that I have been made to face since over the last few days.

It's not out of character for me to work hard during work, it's to be expected of me. Me choosing to wear flats rather than heels with my skinny leg trousers, oversized white vest top, and black blazer is out of character. I've got a tendency to wear heels to work, as has nearly every female in the office, and wearing flats came as a shock to those who saw me today.

It's probably why I was able to do more rushing about work than normal. It also came in handy while sitting in Allison's car for nearly three hours as she drove me to my parents. I told her I was going to get the train then the bus but she refused to let me do that. She said, and I quote, 'It was too risky with the weather being nice again and people noticing who I am more and more with every passing minute of the day'.

She's sweet that way.

"If you need me to pick you up, just text me."

"I've got Luca picking me up so we can go for dinner." I undo my seatbelt and prepare to get out the car. "Thank you for the offer, though."

"Just let me know fi that changes because I'm going down the road to see my mum and dad for a little bit before going back to the flat."

"I will." I get out the car. "Tell them I was asking for them."

"Will do."

I close the car door and Allison moves off down the rest of Grove End Road towards her parent's house. I turn on the spot and look at my family home.

I've never been anxious when coming to see my mum and dad but I am today. The sight of the detached building beyond the brick and fenced wall has me taking deep breaths and my palms sweating.

I don't know what will happen and for all I had all these thoughts beforehand, I now know that none of them will come true. What happens when I cross the threshold into the home will be anyone's guess.

I walk up the newly laid monoblocked driveway towards the front door. Declan is busy cleaning my dad's car and doesn't look in my direction. He knows I'm here but doesn't bat an eye. Clearly, he hasn't made an effort to try and hear me out as to why I did what I did.

I enter the house with caution and come face-to-face with Chloe who is getting ready to leave.

"They're in the living room," she whispers while giving me a hug.

"How are they? Are they in a good mood?"

"I'll leave it up to you to decide."

I nod and let her go out the house as I walk towards the living room. I take a deep breath and push the door open, half expecting my mum and dad to be sitting together and waiting patiently for my arrival.

I'm half right.

They're sitting at two different sides of the corner couch, my dad sitting reading something on his iPad and my mum sitting reading a book. I have to stop myself from hyperventilating on the spot at seeing my dad reading something because I don't know if it's the news or something else. If it is the news, has he been keeping track of all the news articles that have been written about me since last week? Has he been filled with anger since that day or just disappointment?

I don't know and I don't want to know. Just being able to be in the same room as him without seeing him hurt is slightly calming for me. He's alright and I don't need to worry about him taking a bad turn now I'm here.