Chapter 36

"I would have lost it with him for ending your date like he did."

"You know me well enough to know that I'm keeping a mental note of all his misdemeanours so he will have no choice but to make it up to me when the time comes."

"Just like I do with Greg."

I run hand through my hair as I pace back and forth the width of Allison's bedroom. "He wants to take me to New York for my birthday which makes absolutely no sense considering the fact I haven't mentioned it to him that I want to go there."

"Yeah," Allison draws out, "that may be my fault."

I stop pacing and look at her. "Why would that be?"

"When he came and spoke to me at my work about going to get you your dress for last night, your birthday came up. We spoke about what we would be doing and because I won't be here when it does come-"

"You didn't tell him you weren't going to be here did you?"

"Oh God, no." She gives me a look of disgust. "He's not my boyfriend and I'm so grateful he isn't because what you're letting him away with are things I would be pulling him up on."

"Allison, you've gone off the subject." I sit on the bed. "Back to what you said to him."

"Anyway, he was saying he was heading back to America for work and just so happen to mention that you and I would have loved to go to New York this year for both of our birthday's."

"Did he say to you we could have used his jet and stay in a suite at his hotel if we did go?"

"What?" Her mouth falls open and she manoeuvres herself so she's kneeling on the bed. "We could have flown to America first class and stayed in a fancy ass suite?" I nod and she sulks. "Damn my bloody boyfriend for taking me away. I'd much rather be going to New York now."

I inhale deeply and get to my feet. "There is always a catch when it comes to Luca, though."

"But we would be in a city we've always wanted to go to."

"True," I agree with a grin.

"Fucking hell!"

I walk out the bedroom as Allison continues to curse and scream about her birthday plans with Greg. I knew deep down that should react that way when I told her that Luca had offered his jet for us to use. I didn't want to tell him he was right but he was. She saw it from his point of view rather than mine like I told him.

It's just funny seeing Allison react like she is because it will mean Greg will get the brunt of it tonight when she sees him.

It's nearing twelve thirty in the afternoon when Jones arrives to pick me up. I saw his car pull up in the car park, right in front of Mrs. Blane's white BMW, blocking her in like he did the first time he came to pick me up.

I can't help but laugh at the sight as I walk into the hall and pick up my phone and bag.

"Allison, that's me going away." I shout so she can hear me in the bathroom where she's taking a shower.

"Okay," she calls back.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

I unlock the front door and open it only to come face-to-face with a straight-faced Jane Madden. I stop dead in my tracks and stare at Jane as she looks down at me. Just like she always is, she's dressed perfectly in her simple black trouser, dark blue vest, and black leather jacket combo. A pair of black leather heeled pumps completing her simple look.