4. A Golden Opportunity

Alicia’s POV

I walked across the road to Jessica’s house and knocked on the door. Jessica’s mom answered. She tried to smile, but I figured out ages ago that she was scared of me. She made it so obvious.

“Hello, Alicia.” She said, her voice straining as she tried to put on a happy tone.

Pathetic.

“Hi. Jessica called and said she wanted to chat. Is she home?” I made it obvious I wasn’t happy to see her, just to get her tense.

Her nervousness amused me.

“Of course. She’s in her room.”

She stepped back to let me in the house, but she looked like she thought she was letting some sort of mad woman enter. This angered me, but I contained myself. I stepped inside without looking at her. I strolled upstairs and knocked on Jessica’s door.

“Alicia? Is that you?” Her voice came from inside the room.

“No, it’s the Boogie Man.” I said, rolling my eyes.

I heard her giggle. “Come on in.”

I turned the doorknob and saw her sitting cross-legged on her bed, smiling. She was wearing a summery yellow top and a pink ruffled skirt. I didn’t know what to think when I saw how bright it looked.

“How’s my gothic brunette friend today?” She asked.

“Terrible, as usual.” I paused as she chuckled. “So, what did you want to talk to me about?”

I walked over to her desk chair, hooked my boot around it and wheeled it over to her bedside with my foot. She looked impressed as I sat down.

“Damn, you are badass.” She said in awe. I just smirked. “Anyway, like you, I can’t be bothered going to Uni, and I think we can both get OK jobs if we move somewhere else.”

“And where is this somewhere else?” I asked.

She smiled. “London.”

I felt my stomach turnover.

London. The word played over and over in my head. I must’ve looked sick or something, because Jessica looked concerned.

“You OK?” She asked.

“Fine.” I said weakly. “Keep talking.”

Her smile came back. “OK. So, my parents have this old holiday home in London that we don’t use anymore, because dad recently bought a new one. They were going to sell it, until my parents asked me if I wanted to go there and study, using the holiday home to live in. I said yes, but…” She leaned in closer and whispered in my ear. “Fuck studying. I’m only going because I’ve always wanted to live there. Ever since I found out you were raised in Cheshire…” She paused to give me an apologetic look, “I was mega-jealous. But now, I can finally go to my dream city. And I’m inviting you to go with me.”

I thought about it. Living in London with Jessica sounded so tempting. It would mean that I would finally be away from mom, from Fiona…but I didn’t really want to be away from dad. Suddenly, dad’s words began to play in my mind:

If it’s fate, then you’ll definitely cross paths someday.

I completely forgot. Harry. He lived in London. This was my chance. My chance to finally meet up with him again. I was scared though. What if I found him and it turns out that he didn’t remember me? That would break me. It would cause my heart to feel as if it was gonna shrivel up and die. But who cares? It was worth a try. And if it turns out that he does remember me…I would once again feel the happiness I hadn’t felt for 6 years.