Irony. Irony Everywhere

"You're laaate!" Alex called me out, when I came running into the auditorium, panting. "Better three hours too soon than a minute late!"

    "Is that Shakespeare?" I asked, high-fiving him.

    "You know it." He cackled.

    "Quiet boys!" Mrs. Freida called form her spot observing the stage where Maria was talking to Julia.

    "You doing okay? I heard some drama happened between you and Greg? I don't know what exactly went down but if he's trying to hurt you for helping me-"

    "No no!" I interrupted him. "We're not fighting at all. You don't have to worry about that."

    Alex shrugged. "That's good, but if he tries anything  I might have to try something."

    Alex started to flex his nonexistent muscles. Arthur, who was sitting nearby, snorted at him.

    "Intimidating." Arthur commented sarcastically.

    Alex blushed with embarrassment, unaware that Arthur had been watching.

    "I'll h-have you know I can throw a very mean punch." Alex recovered.

    "Whatever." Arthur shrugged, standing up, his part was on.

    We watched him go. He started talking to Juliet's father about marrying her. That was probably difficult, seeing as they had just broken up in real life just under a week ago.

    "Do you think he's doing okay?" Alex asked, as we sat at the edge watching them reverse their lines stiffly.

    "I'm more worried about Julia, she got the worst of it." I offered, spotting her on the other side of the stage, talking to Maria.

    "The worst of what?" Alex asked, staring at me with confusion and innocence.

    I blinked at him. "Have you not heard? They broke up."

    Ales'x eyes widened. "Arthur and Julia broke up? Did A-did one of them find their soulmate?"

    "No, Julia told me it was because Arthur was uncomfortable with her kissing Abe. You know, for the play."

    Alex's eyes widened even more as he stared back and forth between Julia and Arthur. "No way!"

    "Yes way." I agreed, as I watched the practice and waited for my part.

    Mrs. Frieda had stopped them momentarily and was giving Julia and Abe a pep talk.

    "You're both doing well with your memorization." She commented. "But a need more passion from both of you, remember this is a tragedy, and a romantic one one at that. When you're reciting your lines try to think about your forbidden love, about how your families will react when you've gone again against direct orders to see each other. You have to really get into the roles of two young lovers!"

    Julia and Abe looked at each other and laughed nervously. Arthur stared at Julia bitterly from behind her back.

    Forbidden love, huh. Ironic. I can't imagine my family will be too pleased they find out about Greg, but when will that be? We're kind of just friends right now, will we be more than when they find out? I know they're going to find out eventually, I won't be able to keep that a secret forever. 

    The thought of being more than friends with Greg is...strangely very alluring. I don't want to think about it because...it's embarrassing. At the same time I almost want something else between us, I kept thinking about how I felt when he held my hand this morning. It had felt nice.