The Play

It was about six o'clock in the afternoon, and I was pretty sure I gonna throw up.

"There's a lot of people out there." Alex noted, peeking through the curtain.

"Oh God." I wheezed. "I'm gonna die."

It was taking way too long for my medications to kick in.

"Alex!" Arthur whispered very loudly from the darkness of the backstage.

Alex turned. "What you're doing? You're supposed to be on the other side of the stage you dork."

Arthur grinned. "I just wanna see you, just once, before it starts."

Alex glanced at me before walking over to see him. Arthur grabbed his hand gently and illuminated part of the backstage gently. Alex said something I didn't hear before he made Arthur laughed and the taller finally went back to stage left.

"Is Greg out there?" Alex asked.

"I assume so. He's picking up some stuff from his sister so he said he might miss the beginning, which I'm not in so that works. My parents are out there though."

"Mine too. It makes you wonder how much of high school play audience is family and how many people are genuinely interested." Alex laughed.

Maria came up to us, and peeked out the curtain that Alex used to be looking out. She was all dressed up to and looked all nice in her stage make up.

"Did you say Greg was coming?" She straightened and asked me.

"Yes...? Why do you want to-"

She held up her finger to silence me. "Just looking for someone."

She walked away, without explanation. I frowned and just gestured in her direction. Alex nodded.

"Yeah I don't get her either." He shrugged. "We should probably get off the stage now lest we be screamed at by someone backstage."

"Yeah!" Abby agreed as she and some other kids dragged along a big fake tree. "Get off the stage boys."

We obeyed. The time eventually kept passing then all of a sudden it was time to start. The first half went by smoothly. A few scenes before my part I got a text from Greg. It made me smile even though technically I shouldn't have been looking at my phone.

    I took a deep breath, looked for Julia and Abe's cue, then stepped out onto the stage

It went by in a blur. I didn't really remember half of what happened, but I do remember the rush I got from being up there. You know what? I had a lot of fun. I remembered why I loved theatre so much.