F I V E

The Fae Queen sat on her throne, she watched as people from other kingdoms came to pay homage to her. Pretty much everyone had, the last one was on their way... The doors opened as the Dwarf king and his two heirs behind him walked over.

    The Dwarf king kissed the Fae Queen's hand and he offered jewels from Erebor as a gift. She accepted and his eldest heir walked over placing the chest at her feet. 

    He looked up at her, memorized by her beauty. He bowed his head as he walked back to his father.

   After the meeting, the Fae Queen went to the city inside her walls to visit her townsfolk. She helped them with things when someone came up behind her.

   She turned and saw the Dwarf Heir. The one who placed the gold at her feet. What was he still doing here?

    My eyes snapped open as I woke up, it was still dark. But, I was awake now... I sat up thinking about that flashback. The Fae Queen had met the Dwarf King and his Heirs but what was going on between her and his eldest Heir?

    I looked over and saw Bilbo walk over to the ponies, I just shook my head. I looked over again and saw Fili and Kili sitting by the fire, wide awake, probably on watch duty. 

    I stood up and walked to the fire, I sat down next Fili, he just smiled at me. Kili shook his head and smiled as well.

    "Can't sleep?" Fili asked.

    "You can say that," I said shrugging.

      Then, we heard screeching of Orcs... I sat back knowing this wasn't going to go well. But, we were safe here for now.

     "What was that?" Bilbo asked walking over here a bit.

     "Orcs," I answered.

      "Orcs?" Bilbo repeated fearfully.

     "Throat-cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The Lone-lands are crawling with them." Fili told him.

     "They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet, no screams, just lots of blood." Kili added obviously trying to scare the poor Hobbit.

     Both Fili and Kili laughed at Bilbo's scared expression, I just smiled sympathetically at Bilbo. Orcs are no joke, trust me. 

    "You think that's funny?" Thorin spoke up and we all looked at him, "you think a night raid by Orcs is a joke?" 

    "We didn't mean anything by it..." Kili said feeling a bit bad.

     "No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world." Thorin scolded his nephew as he walked away.

    "Don't mind him, Laddie. Thorin had more cause than most to hate Orcs." Balin told us as he walked over to the fire. Both Fili and I glanced over to Thorin before looking back at Balin.

    "What do you mean?" I asked.

    "Well, after the dragon took the Lonely Mountain King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient Dwarf kingdom of Moria... But our enemy had got there first, Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs led by the most vile of all their race; Azog the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin." Bilbo looked over to Thorin. "He began... By beheading the King."

    I gulped at the thought as I crossed my arms as Goosebumps ran up my arms at the thought of that happening. 

    "Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief; he went missing. Taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless... Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him," Balin smiled as he looked at Thorin, "a young Dwarf Prince facing down the pale Orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armor rent wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield..."

     "Azog the Defiler learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the Orcs back and our enemy had been defeated." I looked at Balin as he shook his head. "But there was no feast nor song that night for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few survived..."

    Balin smiled a bit again, "and I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King." He finished.

     We all looked at Thorin, all the Dwarves that were once sleeping were up and staring at him as he turned at looked back. 

     "And the pale Orc?" Bilbo asked, "what happened to him?"

     Thorin walked over, "he slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." He hissed as he walked back to where he once sat. 

     I froze up... He didn't know... Azog the Defiler is still alive and is very much looking for revenge...

~~~~~

     The next day, we all rode the ponies in the rain. I quite like the rain so it didn't bother me but it bothered everyone else. This time everyone road in silence, I guess no one was very talkative today.

     "Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori asked obviously annoyed by the rain.

    Gandalf glanced at me. "It is raining, Master Dwarf and it will continue to rain until the rain is done." He kept looking ahead, "if you wish to change the weather of the would you should find yourself another Wizard."

     "Are there any?" Bilbo asked.

     "What?"

     "Other Wizards?" 

     "There are five of us," Gandalf seemed happy to talk about his race, "the greatest of our order is Saruman the White. Then there are the two Blue Wizards... Do you know, I've quite forgotten their names." I shook my head amused by the nonsense.

    "Who is the fifth?" Bilbo asked.

     "Well, that would be Radagast the Brown." Gandalf answered.

     "Is he a great Wizard? Or is he more like you?" Bilbo asked.

     I snorted at that.

      "I think he's a very great Wizard. In his own way, he's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others he keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands to the east. And a good thing too. For always evil will look to find a foothold in this world." Gandalf explained.

     I thought for a second then I closed my eyes concentrating on the rain. I only used this power twice before and both times it was for rain. I have control over the rain perfectly. But with all the other elements, I didn't.

    The rain stopped just like I wanted. 

     "Thank Durin," Dori muttered, happy that the rain stopped.

     "Did you do that?" Fili asked me, I had no idea he was next to me...

     "Uh, yeah, I did." I nodded.

    "That's amazing," he told me.

    "Thank you." I smiled at him and he just smiled back.

     Maybe this journey wouldn't be so bad after all. I'm already getting used to the Dwarves. They are all so welcoming, especially Fili. They actually make me feel at home when I'm with them. I feel a little normal.

    I dread the day I will have to part with that feeling...