S E V E N T E E N

The next morning, I woke up earlier than everyone else just like always. I'm not sure how I fell asleep. Did my ancestors keep me up just so I can meet Beorn? I'm so confused.

     "Good morning," I looked over and saw Beorn standing there, he had prepared breakfast for us...

     "Morning," I said but it sounded more like a question because I was confused, "why are you being so..." I couldn't think of the word.

     "Nice?" He asked looking at me.

     "Yeah, why are you being so nice? We pretty much locked you out of your own home." I asked looking back up at him.

     "I would have been angrier when I came in but I saw you. The mouse told me what you are... It's been a long time since I have seen one of your kind." he said.

     "You know me?" I asked.

     "Not personally, but, I know of you. You're a Faerie, our kind has been allies for centuries. It is only custom we continue that tradition." Beorn explained.

    "I suppose so," I nodded.

    "I was a bit surprised to see you with Dwarves after what happened to your kind," He spoke up once again.

    "Oh, right... They, uh, they're friends. I trust them." I told him.

     "If you say so," He seemed unsure.

~~~~~

     Soon everyone was awake except Bilbo, we sat at the table where Beorn prepared food for us. He was kind to me, I think it is because of the alliance like he said that our kind has had for so long. 

    I sat next to Fili, who seemed really interested in all of this. I couldn't help but laugh when he first saw Beorn. He's trying so hard to be polite around Beorn that it's coming off as too hard. 

    Beorn poured milk into my cup and then into Fili's, I smiled at nodded as a thank you to him. He nodded back. 

    "So you are the one they call Oakenshield," Beorn said looking at Thorin, "tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?" He asked.

    "You know of Azog? How?" Thorin asked.

     "My people were the first to live in the mountains along with the Faeries," Beorn glanced at me, "before the Orcs came down North. The Faeries had magic on their side, the Orcs didn't trouble them but they did with my people." He turned to us, "the Defiler killed most of my family, but some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging Skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him."

    I noticed the chain on his arm, I frowned. I had no idea... "If I may ask, how did you escape?" I asked him.

    "Alliances," He answered as he looked at me, "your kind helped us... But that didn't stop the Defiler."

     "There are others like you?" Bilbo asked.

     "Once there were many," Beorn seemed to be not want to talk about that subject.

     "And now?" he asked.

     "Now there is only one," Beorn answered.

     I frowned, two of the oldest species of Middle Earth, only have one of each of their kind left... It's horrible...

     "I am sorry," I apologized to him even though it wasn't my fault I felt as if my kind could have done more about it a long time ago.

    Beorn nodded at me as he turned away, he then turned back to us. "You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn," he said.