one

*If you haven't read the first book, I would suggest reading it before you continue!*

          Betty's POV: Nothing lasts forever. That's what everyone says. But, of course, I know it's not true. Because the rain goes on. It goes on an endless cycle. All the cycle is, is sadness, sadness, sadness. And it keeps going. Someone's pressing replay a million times a day. And no one can do anything about it. The cycles unstoppable. Even if someone tried, it wouldn't stop the sadness spreading through Riverdale every terrible second.
          The people were telling me, when Jughead left, that nothing lasts forever. I don't know what they meant. They either meant Jughead being in Riverdale, or us. I don't even know what to think about that word. "Us". It's a pathetic word, if you think about it. It's a word that you think will make you happy forever, when really, it'll only make you happy for a short while. But what could I do? I had no idea.
"Betty, dear, what're you writing?" I heard my mother ask. I quickly shut my diary. "Nothing. Just...notes." I said while getting comfortable in my hospital bed. "Betty, we have good news." Alice said with a smile on her face. She got up from her chair, and walked over to me. She took a seat on my bed. "You get to come home in two days!" She said. You would expect me to be happy. I wasn't. My whole house would just remind me of him. His scent on my bed sheets, the few books he gave me. I know how it goes. I liked Archie once.
I quickly pushed out a fake smile, and looked away. "Oh, Betty." She said while taking my hand. A tear started to tickle my cheek. "It'll be alright." She said while hugging me. I hated those words, too. I hated every word now. Every word that Jughead used. Every word that I used. I just wanted to take myself and throw me into a corner all alone.
On the bright side, the hospital wasn't so bad. My bed was comfy, the food was not great. Maybe I really did need to get out of here. I would have gotten out four months ago, when Jughead left. When my mom found me in the bathtub, she called for my dad. He carried me to the car, and they drove me to the hospital. But that was only the first time they had to do that. I've been here so long, because I've cut 3 times. My mom doesn't leave me alone for a second, now.
"It's not going to be alright, mom." I said. "Well, at least it's summer now!" She said, trying to cheer me up. "And Jason's death is finally figured out." I added in. We were all surprised when the cops figured it out. No one expected it to be Jason's dad. How could a father do that to his own son?
             When my mother left the room, the doctors said I had a visitor. I wasn't expecting anyone, since I hadn't seen Veronica or Archie in days. The door opened, and out popped a jumpy Veronica. "Betty!" She yelled while running over to me and hugging me tight. "Hey, V." I said. "So, I heard the good news." She teased. "Yep. I'm not too excited, though." I said. She took a seat by me. "Oh come on, Betty. It'll be fun! It's our first summer together, and next years our last year of school." She said. I smiled. "I guess you're right." I whispered. I noticed that she looked down at my wrist. She saw that I noticed, and said, "Oh, I'm sorry." "You're fine, V." I said and grabbed a book from my bed table. I really missed my book Romeo and Juliet. I was so used to reading it all the time. And now, I haven't seen it in 4 months.
          "Betty?" Asked Veronica. "Yeah?" I asked. She took a gulp before speaking. "Can I ask you something?...Something about Jughead?" She asked. I stopped my eyes before they could turn to water, like the rain that was hitting the hospital window. "Shoot." I said. "At his birthday... what was your gift?" She asked me. No one had asked me that. And I wasn't planning on being asked that. The glass filled my eyes, causing the tears to stream out. She put her hand on mine comfortingly. "I was going to say...I love you." I choked on the words. She hugged me, and my tears made her shoulder slightly wet.
           The night was cold, and lonely. My hospital room was pitch black, and all I could hear was the clock ticking, and the light rain. The only light was the night showing from my one window. I was lying on my side, facing it. Outside, I saw the sky. The Stars were shining brightly, and they were twinkling. I closed my eyes, but then saw a light sway by my closed eyes. I opened them, and saw two car lights shining in on my window. That was the only car lights I saw that night. And I was on one of the top floors in the hospital. The rest of the night was silent.