two

Betty's POV: When I'm lying here, all alone in my hospital bed, I think about one thing. I think about everyone's probably talking about me because I'm the perfect girl next door who tried to kill herself. And now? I'm no longer the perfect girl. I'm the messed up girl. I can't even help but wonder if my parents are going to send me to a group home like they sent Polly.
I put down my diary, and continued watching the reality show playing on the small TV in front of me. I've always hated reality shows. They cause so much drama, and there's no reason for it.
When I heard the door open, I turned off my TV. Archie and Veronica walked in, shutting the door behind them. "Hi, guys." I said with an innocent smile. "Okay, friends are supposed to be honest, right?" Asked Veronica. "Uh...I guess." I said. "Okay. You look like you're dead, Betty." She said. "Don't I look like that every day?" I asked. "B, it's real this time." She whispered. Archie rolled his eyes. "So, your girls here to do a makeover." She said. "No." I said. "Oh, come on." She teased. "Your lips are bleeding from being so chapped, your eyes have droops under them, and you're freezing cold. You know what that is?" She asked. "Death!" She said with no smile. "Well I'm happy with being dead, V." I joked while crossing my arms. "Please." She begged.
"Not today." I said. She huffed and puffed, and waited for me to change my mind. "Fine. But if you're ever in the hospital again, you have to let me do it." She said. I rolled my eyes, and said, "Deal."
Veronica's POV: When Archie and Betty started to catch up, I noticed he wasn't acting like usual. When he liked a girl, he'd usually use his playful smirk on them. But, he wasn't. He did every other day, but not today. Maybe it was because the poor girls been through enough the last few months. I don't know. But I needed to find out if he likes her or not.
All of a sudden, I felt my phone vibrate. I got a text message. When I opened my phone, I saw that it was from Jughead. I hadn't heard from him since we last spoke four months ago, that night.
Jughead: Veronica?
Veronica: What? All of a sudden you show up out of no where?
Jughead: I'm sorry. I tried to call all of you. It just wasn't working right.
Veronica: And you just fixed it out of no where?
Jughead: I'm not in Toledo anymore.
Veronica: So? Where are you now? Hawaii?
Jughead: I'm back in Riverdale.
Veronica: ...
Veronica: What's everyone going to think?! What about BETTY?!
Jughead: Can you tell Archie or something? I can't reach him.
Veronica: Yeah. He can't reach you because he's with Betty right now. In her hospital bed!
Jughead: ...
Jughead: Meet me in Pop's. Bring Archie. Please, Veronica.

"Archie! Let's go! We had that thing to do." I said. "Wha-" He began. "Now." I said. "Bye Betty. Good luck!" I said while walking out.
"What was that all about?" He asked me. I handed him my phone. His eyes moved constantly while reading all of the texts. He handed me my phone back. "He's back for good now?" He asked me. "That's what we're about to find out." I replied.
When we arrived at Pop's, Archie and I looked for Jughead. He wasn't there. "I swear, this better not be a prank." Said Archie. "Let's just sit down, and wait for him. Maybe he's not here yet." I said. We walked over to the seat, and waited. Until the bell wrung on the door, and Jughead walked in. He was wearing all black still, with his denim jacket on. He didn't look any different. He stopped in front of the door for a minute, and we all stared at each other. And then he walked over and sat by Archie.
"Well." I said. "What?" Jughead asked. "I'm doing well." I said. They both rolled their eyes, and I smiled a bit. "Jughead, it feels like I haven't seen you in forever." Said Archie. "Yeah." He agreed. It was silent for a bit, and I took a sip of my milkshake. The drink reminded me of Betty, the girl all alone now, waiting for the shadows around her to take her in its arms. All she did was sit in the bed, waiting for night to come. And then, she would do her favorite thing. Sleep.
           "Veronica!" Said Archie. "Oh, sorry. My thoughts just took me away." I said. "So, what'd you do in Toledo, Jughead?" I asked. "Same old thing. Write. Didn't talk to anyone." He said. "Did you make any friends?" Asked Archie. "No." He replied. Another awkward silence took over the table. "Alright, that's enough small talk." I broke the silence. "So what do you wanna know about Betty? Spill." I said. "That's not the only reason I came here." He said. "Oh really?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. He rolled his eyes. "Is she ok?" He asked me. "Archie, could you give us a minute?" I asked. Archie shook his head, and climbed the seat to go talk to Pop. "That's the dumbest question I've ever heard!" I said coldly, but jokingly. "No it's not!" He said. "Is she ok?" I mocked him in a deep voice. "Of course she's not!" I said. "Jughead. She's been in the hospital for 4 months, in and out. Every time she'd get out, she'd do something to have to get sent back." I said. "And every single time, I couldn't help. And knowing that I couldn't..." I trailed off into tears. Jughead put his hand on his head, because he had no idea that she was this bad. He took a huge breath, and exhaled. "It's my fault." He said. "No. It's not your fault. You weren't the one unable to help her." I said.
          The rest of the day, we all caught up. We were there all day, and it was like the old times. Except I found myself glancing at Betty's empty seat every now and then. What would she say when I told her he was back? Would she want to see him? Or would someone's heart be broken along the way?
Betty's POV: As the night headed the towns way, I turned on my TV.  I heard the raindrops turn into hail, and saw my room turn black. The TV's light reflected onto my face, and Rebel Without A Cause was on. The setting reminded me of that night, on the Drive In's last day. Where Jughead looked at me through the window, and I looked at him. The light outlined his face, and the stars outlined mine. But now, I was all alone. And the movie just ended. Right in front of me. And I wiped the lonesome tear off of my face, and went to sleep.
          With every small disaster creating a huge one, I knew I'd just have to move on with my life. Let go. And then, maybe one disaster would be gone. And I'd just have to go home.
          The next morning, I was woken up by Veronica tapping my shoulder. Her face popped up in front of mine, causing me to jump. "So?" She asked with a huge grin. "It's the day!" She said. "Yeah, there's been three days that you've said that." I said while sitting up. "This'll be the last one." She threatened. "I brought you coffee!" She smirked, and then handed it to me. "Thanks." I said. "What do you wanna do tonight?" She asked me. "I don't know. I was thinking maybe you could sleep over?" I asked her. "Of course!" She got excited. "And...I have to tell you something later." She said. "Okay. I get out of the hospital late tonight. Lord knows why." I said. "Great." She said, but something told me her smile was fake.

"I don't know why they call it heartbreak. Every other part of my body feels broken, too."