twenty - six

Betty's POV: "So, feel any better?" Asked Veronica. "A little, I guess. If it continues I'll probably just go to the doctor." I said. "So what exciting news did you have to tell me? I can tell you're holding it in." I said. "Ok! You aren't going to believe this, Betty!" She said. "I'm just...so excited!" She said while smiling greatly. I raised an eyebrow. "So, before Archie left today, he told me to look for his keys in his coat!" She said. "Good for you then?" I said. "No, no. I'm not finished." She said. "I felt in one of the pockets, and I found a box." She continued, raising suspicion. "I didn't know what it was, so, of course, I took it out." She continued. "Get to the point! Was it a ring or not?!" I got impatient. She blushed, and fell back on my bed. "It was!" I said. "It was." She confirmed.
I was so happy for her. I knew she'd wanted to get married, seeing as how she'd always obsess over pictures of weddings, or wedding dresses. She'd also talked about how when she got married, she wanted a huge cake, with purple icing. She had it all planned out, and Archie completed it. "I hope everything works out, V. I'm so happy!" I said. "Thanks. What if it's not a marriage ring though!?" She worried. She sat up, and put her hands over her mouth. "Trust me, it's going to be a marriage proposal." I said. "And to prove it, I'm going to get him to tell me." I said. "What? How?" She asked me. "I'll invite him to Pop's to...catch up on life." I said. "Sounds...alright." She said. "V, what's wrong?" I asked her with my hand on her shoulder. "What if it's not? I'll be so hurt, and I really want this." She said. "If it's not, then I'll convince him to propose to you. I promise." I lifted my pinkie finger, and she did the same. "Pinky promise." I said. She laughed, and I started dialing Archie's number.
Jughead's POV: I hadn't been to Pop's in forever. I was trying to avoid them. That is, until I was forced to go. "Jug, I need you to go to Pop's and get the food!" Said FP. "No." I tried. "Yes. We need food." He warned. I rolled my eyes, and headed for the door. "Hurry back! And be safe out there!" He said while shutting the door behind me.
I started walking along the sidewalk, regretting ever leaving the house. I was hoping that the people that made me mad weren't going to be there.
         Betty's POV: "Arch? Hey!" I said into my phone. "Hey Betty. I haven't heard from you in a while!" I heard. "Any plans? Wanna catch up at Pop's?" I asked him. "Sure. I'd love to. Let me just tell Ronnie. She just walked into the door actually." He said. "Ok." I said. I waited a few seconds, waiting for a yes. "Betty, I'll be over in a sec." he said. "Great!"
          When we got to Pop's, there were only three other people in the diner. Pop himself, an old man drinking coffee at night, reading a newspaper. And lastly, there was a girl that looked young, sitting all alone by the window drinking a milkshake. "Let's sit in the usual spot!" Said Archie. "Sure." I said while sitting walking to sit across from him. "So, what's been happening lately?" Asked Archie. "I haven't been feeling the greatest. Waking up in the middle of the night is pretty exhausting." I said. "Totally." He said. "What about you?" I asked him. He looked nervous. "Has Veronica ever talked about anything?" He asked me. "Anything?" I asked him. "About me?" He said. "Of course she does. She's in love with you, Arch." I said. "Listen Betty. You can't tell anyone." He said. "I'm asking Veronica to marry me." He admitted. I silently clapped, which made him laugh. "Trust me. She wants to get married." I said. He smirked at the thought of his Veronica. Ding! The bell rang.
          Everything felt like it went to slow motion. I saw Jughead walk up to the counter, and hand Pop some money. Pop said something, and it made Jughead bloom a smile. Pop went to the back of the diner to get his order. "Betty?" I heard Archie ask. I pointed my finger to Jughead, still having a smile on his face. He must have felt two eyes on him, so he looked over. His smile slowly fell off of his lips, and he quickly looked away, pulling his hat down further toward his face. When Pop gave him a bag, he sat down on the other side, away from us. "That's Jughead alright." Archie said. "I'm gonna go before he attacks me." Archie joked. "Bye! Make sure you propose the right way!" I raised my voice at he got further toward the door. It must have gathered Jughead's attention, because he sunk down in his chair a little.
          For a few moments, I just sat there, debating on what I wanted to do. I put everything in my bag, and got up. As I walked up to his table, I was trying to be very quiet with my footsteps, so he wouldn't hear me. When I'd reached the table, I said, "Hi." He looked up at me, and shut his computer.