seventeen

Betty's POV: "Well Betty, are you ready for school in a few days?" Asked Veronica through the phone. "No." I said sharply, while putting away my clothes. "It's the last year, have some fun." She said. "Mom, ok! I get it!" She said. "Something wrong?" I asked. "Nothing. My moms just bugging me about upping my grades this year." She answered. "I mean, I get it. No one wants their kid having terrible grades." She said. "Yeah." I said. "So, what happened between you and Jughead?" She asked me. I hadn't told her, which made my heart pound. Did he tell her? "What do you mean?" I asked her. "Betty! I'm not stupid! I saw his cute little text to you a few days ago." She said. "What text? I don't remember a text." I tried to convince her. "Betty. You were in the bathroom, and you left your phone on your bed. Right next to me. Your phone lit up, and I saw his text. Make since?" She asked.
          That day I was wondering why she was smiling all day. She was asking me who I was texting, too. "I don't believe you." I said. "I wanna hug you right now. I miss you. You're still coming over tonight, right?" She said, while talking in her deepest "man" voice, and attempting to mock Jughead. "That doesn't sound like him. At all." I said. "And you're violating my privacy." I said. "Well now that you've admitted it, whats going on?" She asked me. "Fine. Each night I've been sneaking into his room. Happy?" I whispered. She mumbled something, and then made the weirdest noise I'd ever heard. It sounded like a laugh mixed with a sneeze. "V?" I asked. "I'm here." She said. "I don't like talking on the phone with you. You always make weird sounds." I said. "Whatever. So are you guys back together, or..." she said. "We haven't talked about it." I said. "What's your intake on it then?" She asked me. "I think that I've answered enough questions already." I said while lying down. "What about you and Archie?" Another weird sound. "What are you doing?!" I said. "...nothing." She said. "V!" I said.  I heard a giggle. "V, who is that?" I asked. "Are you with a boy?" I asked while sitting up. "Arch shut up!" I heard quietly. "Veronica! I heard that." I said. "Crap." I heard. "Did he hear what I was saying, V?!" I asked. "Kinda?" She said. "That was private." I said. "Sorry. We're all friends here." She said. I rolled my eyes. "We gotta go. We're busy." She said. "You aren't busy." I said. "Not yet." She said. They both laughed, and I made a disgusted face. "Gross." I said, and hung up.
          Each night since several nights ago, I'd been going to Jughead's house. While I'd read, he would write one of his few books. We were never not happy when next to each other. It was like all of the hard days in life disappeared. Also, he would never stop teasing me. I secretly loved when he teased me, but I would never let him know that.
          When it'd gotten dark out, I said goodnight to my mom. I waited until I heard her light snores outside of her door, and I knocked lightly on Polly's door. "Polly?" I asked. "Going to see Jughead again?" She asked. "Yeah. You know what to tell mom if she wakes up." I said, and headed for my bedroom window. I slowly crept down Jughead's ladder, and hopped onto the wet grass.
          Jughead's POV: I heard a knock on my window, and knew who it was. "Hey Betty." I said. "Hi." She jumped on to my floor, and took her jacket off. She had her pink sweater on, and pajama pants. "Too lazy to change?" I asked. "Yeah." She said, and giggled. "Ronnie and Archie know!" She said. "What?" I asked her. "She saw a text on my phone from you, and then I didn't know Archie was hearing me on the phone so I told her everything and now they both know." She hurried out of her mouth. "Ok." I said. "Wait, you're not mad?" She asked me. "It's not your fault. It was mine for sending that text." I said while she was walking up to me. "So you're not angry at all?" She asked me. "No." I said. She put her arms around my neck, and pecked my lips. Before she could pull away, I pulled her in for another kiss, but longer. She was standing on her tip toes, which I always thought was cute. We both pulled back, and I went towards my computer, while she pulled out her book. Our shoulders were touching while sitting on my bed, and I couldn't help but glance over at her non stop. I loved watching how her eyes flickered away from each word. I loved how she would narrow her eyebrows when something confusing happened. I loved how she knew I was looking at her, but she didn't care. Whenever she'd notice, a smile would pull on her lips, and I would look away.
           I felt her head on my shoulder, and soon after her book closed. I rested my head on top of hers, and I could tell she was drifting off into a deep sleep. I wouldn't let myself sleep, because I knew if I didn't wake her up, she would never go home. I just shut my computer, and put her now sleeping body in my lap. I held her close and tight, and admiring every little thing about the sleeping girl.
"Goodnight, Juliet. I love you." I swiftly kissed her cheek.
"I love you too." She whispered. My eyes grew wide, but I then relaxed, and she turned her head towards me.